Front 4-link evaluation - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 23507
Front 4-link evaluation

I bought this truck this way, so I'm plugging things into the calculators and am not sure how the front end should be in terms of the 4-link calculator.

I'm trying to keep it as low as I can....and ditch the air shocks that are on it now. My problem is, that keeping low, means the upper links aren't flat...they are lower at the frame then at the axle. Playing with the calculator and raising them to flatten them out seems more what I would want, but unless I raise the ride height I don't see how that's going to be possible. They are under the frame, and to raise them I'd either have to notch the frame to clear them or completely alter mounts. What do people suggest?

Note, this is on a full bodied 4600# truck, which is why the air shocks are being ditched and going to coilovers.

Here is the front 4-link calc.

Here is the rear, in case that plays into anything.

Last edited by pike2350; 04-30-2012 at 11:12 AM.
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 23507
btt

anyone?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 86280
You need more vertical separation at the frame. I would raise the uppers up. Should try to have 5-6". That will help your anti squat too, which in my opinion is to high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 78459
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
You need more vertical separation at the frame. I would raise the uppers up. Should try to have 5-6". That will help your anti squat too, which in my opinion is to high.

I would agree, but I'll almost bet that there is no room to move them up. without seeing a pic of the rig, I'm guessing. Show us a pic of what you have in the front for room.
FYI, your axle is sold, hows about changing your signature, from "Buy my front axle" to something different.....like "Hey my name is Indy242003, Cyber Quality Control Engineer".....it kinda has a nice ring to it.....at least it's better than what JoelJoel72 is probably thinking.
indy242003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 23507
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy242003 View Post
I would agree, but I'll almost bet that there is no room to move them up. without seeing a pic of the rig, I'm guessing. Show us a pic of what you have in the front for room.
I will get a pic....the only one I have is more of the diff (high pinion ps d44) So it doesn't really show.

There is no way to go higher unless I move them to the inside of the frame...but then I would have to move/make new mounts on the axle end cuz they would hit the frame.

This is the pic I have...you can see that the end is directly under the frame, as well as how it sort of would cross under the frame if I left the mounts were they are. My other thought was to angle them inward somewhat.

This is my thought...but I haven't gotten a chance to see if I can clear the new mounts further inward.

I will work on getting better pics of the mounts. The lowers are mounted to the crossmember under the tcase...so they can't go anywhere either.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 42341
From that pic it looks like you've got a lot of room you can use for a frame notch. Raise that frame side mount and reinforce the frame around that area

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8937
So you're going to make changes to the suspension because the geometry isn't ideal or because you aren't happy with the way it works? You never even mentioned how it performs. Your rear suspension geometry looks pretty good and to be honest I think the rear is far more important than the front. If you haven't driven the truck enough to know why you want to change it then maybe you shouldn't change it.

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 86280
That's a really good point. I over looked that when I first read this.

David D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 23507
I've driven the truck....and honestly, I don't really want to change it if I don't have to. I want to keep it low....the first graph is the height I want it it (which right now is the air shocks completely depressurized) I am basing my measurements for coilover mounts on that height.

My main question is if I leave it alone....do the numbers look acceptable? I have no idea about how the front should look (antisquat/antidive and roll axis angle). This is the main thing.....what numbers are "acceptable" for a front end?

I'm ok with the rear...although I may raise either the lower axle mount a little or the upper frame mount up a little...but that is to just get the anti squat down a little (around 75-85)
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Since the thing is already built, go ahead and forget about the numbers for a while. Drive the thing and see how it works. If it works well leave it. If it doesn't, try again. Why waste a bunch of time reworking stuff that's already done just because you're not sure if it looks good on paper or not.

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 23507
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBug View Post
Since the thing is already built, go ahead and forget about the numbers for a while. Drive the thing and see how it works. If it works well leave it. If it doesn't, try again. Why waste a bunch of time reworking stuff that's already done just because you're not sure if it looks good on paper or not.
Alright...that's what I'll do. I just need to get the coilovers ordered up and mounted...and see how it feels.

Dallas, you'd appreciate this thing...it's a Rodeo. In fact, if you remember, or ever met Jgalt (4x4wire screenname) it's his old Rodeo....he wont the carnage award at ZuZoo for breaking his output shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in