'79 ford front d60 caliper mount questions - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangelli View Post
I have the same issue with mine. My uncle made me custom metal pieces to put in between h clip and curved spring. Seems to help but still every now and then after a few years they pop out.

Still having the issue?
I made an upgrade kit to fix this problem that uses newer calipers and a new bracket.

https://www.lugnut4x4.com/fordfront

Dana 70 kits $300 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . Sterling 10.25 kits $390 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dana 60 front 3/4 ton kits $295-->
. .
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 864690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckin69bronco2.0 View Post
How are these “popping” out. The spring that keeps the system in compression has tangs on each end that lock it to the H retainer bar. The retainer bar is then held by a bolt into the caliper bracket. Unless your retainer bolt backs out or isn’t there it’s not actually possible for the H retainer or the spring to come out. This assumes you aren’t using unusually warn or broken shit for your brakes.
The caliper seems to be extra floppy. I took a pic of it too with the extra metal piece in it.
Kangelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangelli View Post
The caliper seems to be extra floppy. I took a pic of it too with the extra metal piece in it.
The most common problems are the bracket gets worn down due to many years of rust or the ears actually spread farther apart.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->

. .

Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
ears get spread. I have a d44 like that. I just robbed the bracket off a donor.
chevy brakes are not an upgrade IMO
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 04:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 806842
I'm having the same problem with my passenger side. The spring keeps coming out... the H block and bolt are still in, the caliper backs out and eats the inside of my wheel each time. I don't understand how in the hell the spring keeps falling out. I made a little spacer and bent it around the top of the caliper in the mount last time. Made it 2 minutes down the road heard two tings. Stopped and looked, the spacer I made, and the spring were gone. >.<
Tjreaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjreaper View Post
I'm having the same problem with my passenger side. The spring keeps coming out... the H block and bolt are still in, the caliper backs out and eats the inside of my wheel each time. I don't understand how in the hell the spring keeps falling out. I made a little spacer and bent it around the top of the caliper in the mount last time. Made it 2 minutes down the road heard two tings. Stopped and looked, the spacer I made, and the spring were gone. >.<
That's why I made my Ford front kits.

www.lugnut4x4.com

Dana 70 kits $300 -->

. .
Old 05-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 806842
I ordered it a couple hours ago
Tjreaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 46199
ford front caliper hanger for dana 60

What exactly do you make for the front caliper holders for the ford dana 60 utilizing the stock front ford calipers?
mgawat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #34 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgawat View Post
What exactly do you make for the front caliper holders for the ford dana 60 utilizing the stock front ford calipers?
The stock Ford calipers are the problem. For $295 shipped you get new brackets, calipers, pads, and rotors.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->

. .
Old 05-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
Repairing the factory caliper brackets to close the gap and use the factory parts would be better than "upgrading" to an inferior caliper.
Seems like it wouldn't be terribly difficult for someone to make a bracket to use the, superior to the Chevy caliper, caliper from a '97 F350.

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

Last edited by 69DieselLover; 05-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.
69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69DieselLover View Post
Repairing the factory caliper brackets to close the gap and use the factory parts would be better than "upgrading" to an inferior caliper.
Seems like it wouldn't be terribly difficult for someone to make a bracket to use the, superior to the Chevy caliper, caliper from a '97 F350.
I agree.
every manufacturer stopped using the GM car type caliper decades ago for a reason.
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #37 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
I can't argue with you guys as you have some valid points. I will say that the jb7 caliper has a larger piston surface area than the OEM calipers, so they are not smaller. People who have installed them seam to really appreciate the security in knowing their caliper will not fall out. I do realize my kit is not for everyone though.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->

. .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in