Rear steer in 4 link calculator - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80727
Location: Roseland VA/PtPleasant NJ
Posts: 1,339
Rear steer in 4 link calculator

A single triangulated 4 link packages much better in the back of my current project. I know that rear steer is inherent to not double triangulating a 4 link. My uppers will be fully triangulated ontop of the diff and the lowers will be tilted inwards, probably around 10*.

In the calculator Im getting 4-5* roll. Everything else is looking good.

The question simply is , how bad is 4* ?

The truck will be an expedition rig and go through medium difficulty trails on 33s and maybe 35s some day.

Ill post calculator screens when I get home.
__________________
Tube frame S10 Truggy
4.56 Dana 44 w/ lockright/6 lug Ford 8.8 4.56 Ox locker
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100827
Location: murfreesboro Tn
Posts: 9,900
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
It sounds like some street driving is in the plans 4 deg is still on the high side, I would keep playing with it.
__________________
I do math and stuff, on a professional level.
smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Member # 115560
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 230
Why can't you fully triangulate it? The uppers are harder to package than the lowers, if you've got that figured out there's no reason I can think of not to go double triangulated.

Last edited by XJLI; 05-01-2012 at 12:38 PM.
XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80727
Location: Roseland VA/PtPleasant NJ
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
Why can't you fully triangulate it? The uppers are harder to package than the lowers, if you've got that figured out there's no reason I can think of not to go double triangulated.
I have a square tube fresh frame built for it right now. With the way its currently setup a single triangulated 4 would work with the stock lower axle mounts and changing the upper link to triangulated links on an existing crossmember.

I honestly have no super solid reason why not to its just packaging is easier, one less crossmember too. My main reason for asking is because if I cant get it into an acceptable range with single triangulation I will. If not I will go double triangulated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smewhtguy View Post
It sounds like some street driving is in the plans 4 deg is still on the high side, I would keep playing with it.
Theres a lot of street driving in store so Ill keep tweeking. Is there anything else I can alter to reduce the roll other than link angle?
__________________
Tube frame S10 Truggy
4.56 Dana 44 w/ lockright/6 lug Ford 8.8 4.56 Ox locker
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86280
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Is there anything else I can alter to reduce the roll other than link angle?
Longer lower links will often reduce it some, but the best way is to simply triangulate the lowers. You can inboard them a few inches and not have to run another cross member. Just build something like this.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...OUTRIG-45.html
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80727
Location: Roseland VA/PtPleasant NJ
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Longer lower links will often reduce it some, but the best way is to simply triangulate the lowers. You can inboard them a few inches and not have to run another cross member. Just build something like this.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...OUTRIG-45.html
Yeah I was playing with the calculator last night and was able to get my roll down to 0 by doing exactly like what you posted there. It winds up being a double triangulated setup just the lowers arent kicked in a huge amount.

Definitely enough to keep the axle put though.


Just as a noob question here and Im pretty sure I already know the answer but your lowers should never be above you axle center line correct? Too much stress?
__________________
Tube frame S10 Truggy
4.56 Dana 44 w/ lockright/6 lug Ford 8.8 4.56 Ox locker
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member # 43587
Location: Cookeville, TN
Posts: 5,495
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Yeah I was playing with the calculator last night and was able to get my roll down to 0 by doing exactly like what you posted there. It winds up being a double triangulated setup just the lowers arent kicked in a huge amount.

Definitely enough to keep the axle put though.


Just as a noob question here and Im pretty sure I already know the answer but your lowers should never be above you axle center line correct? Too much stress?
It will still work with the lowers above the axle centerline, but you better have some stout upper links,mounts,truss. Otherwise you'll rip em off when climbing.
__________________
The Gremlin - small ugly linked beater Toyota
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80727
Location: Roseland VA/PtPleasant NJ
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
It will still work with the lowers above the axle centerline, but you better have some stout upper links,mounts,truss. Otherwise you'll rip em off when climbing.
Ok. Im gonna keep them at axle center line and drop my frame side mount to get my numbers in check then. I dont want to be over stressing shit.
__________________
Tube frame S10 Truggy
4.56 Dana 44 w/ lockright/6 lug Ford 8.8 4.56 Ox locker
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.