Can only buy one pair of air bumps - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 162491
Can only buy one pair of air bumps

I am trying to buy some air bumps from FOA. They have the best prices and the mount can is included.

If I could only buy one pair of these air bumps, are they more beneficial in the front or rear??

I am thinking the front? I have Deaver leafs in the rear and half way decent leafs in the front. It's a SAS'd 92 K1500 with tons and 38's. I am running 14" bilstein 7100's at each corner. I maybe have 4" up-travel in the front. So thinking about 2" stroke bumps 2" off the pad.

And I guess for the rear I'll run some decent, much cheaper bumps. Does anyone have info on the "good" chevy bump stops I see mentioned all over the place? Those may be good for the rear.

Last edited by The_Punisher; 05-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.
The_Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
I'd run the airs in the front and the Chevy bumps I ran came off the rear of '95+ s10 blazers.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6569
timbren's are pretty good and tough as well

Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 162491
yea I have also heard of the timbrens AEON rubber springs. I just haven't found where to find them. I went on their site and found the part numbers I would want but I just wish I could go to a website and buy exactly what I want. No kits or anything. I tried calling stengel bros but they were closed.

thanks for the help! I just want the best ride I can get.......for my budget
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 86280
I agree on running the air bumps in the front. Usually harder to mount up there, but they usually help more in the front. I have always heard great things about the daystar bumps that look like a pyramid as well for the rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 162491
ok cool. I finally found something that looks similar to the chevy bump stops people refer to. Every site I go to only has aftermarket/universal bumps rather than OEM replacement.

But I found these firestone OE replacement bumps on the bottom of this page

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...tt=Bump%20Stop

And David D are you talking about these?

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...?productID=660

Last edited by The_Punisher; 05-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20394
If I was in your shoes, I would get the BBS bumps from Poly Performance and screw the air pumps. These things work amazing. I ran KOH on them, jumped on them, all in a 4,200lb truck. They are $40 for 4 of them.

Air bumps are really not necessary on *most* wheelers.

These: Made by BBS in Germany

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...op-p-1354.html

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools

Sterling Autosport

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Last edited by Buckon37s; 05-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 162491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
If I was in your shoes, I would get the BBS bumps from Poly Performance and screw the air pumps. These things work amazing. I ran KOH on them, jumped on them, all in a 4,200lb truck. They are $40 for 4 of them.

Air bumps are really not necessary on *most* wheelers.

These: Made by BBS in Germany

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...op-p-1354.html
that is a super valuable response. I appreciate it. But that link is to a eibach bump stop, could you double check that its the the one you were talking about?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
That is the bump. It is made by basf Europe. Imported by Eibach.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 162491
oh of great thanks! I guess I should have remembered eibach is german anyway

After looking closer I see they are bump stops that install on your shocks. I have wandered about these. I assume they have no ill affect on your shocks? I'm not competitive or running KOH, so I imagine these will do.

The smallest shaft they are made for is 5/8 which equals .625". My bilstein 7100 shafts are 14mm which equals .55". Will this be fine??

Last edited by The_Punisher; 05-02-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Punisher View Post
oh of great thanks! I guess I should have remembered eibach is german anyway

After looking closer I see they are bump stops that install on your shocks. I have wandered about these. I assume they have no ill affect on your shocks? I'm not competitive or running KOH, so I imagine these will do.

The smallest shaft they are made for is 5/8 which equals .625". My bilstein 7100 shafts are 14mm which equals .55". Will this be fine??
I think you will be fine. Be sure to get the lower retaining plate to hold the bump. You will have to disassemble the shock to get it on.

The only negative is that the bump force is now transmitted to your shock mounts so make sure that the mounts are robust. Other than that, it's an awesome option. It won't damage your shocks.

Widia Cutting Tools

Sterling Autosport

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 162491
I have take the actual shock apart? I thought I just had to unbolt it and slide it on, shit I don't really want to disassemble my shocks right now.....
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
I have take the actual shock apart? I thought I just had to unbolt it and slide it on, shit I don't really want to disassemble my shocks right now.....
Unless you can get the bottom off. I know on fox's it was easier to pull the shaft out than heat up the bottom and screw that off. I don't know bilstiens. Either way, it is pretty easy.

Widia Cutting Tools

Sterling Autosport

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 162491
and that requires you to de-service it right? I'm sure you have to discharge the nitrogen, but does the oil also come out?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
and that requires you to de-service it right? I'm sure you have to discharge the nitrogen, but does the oil also come out?
The oil all stays in unless you spill it. The shocks you have you may be able to pull the bottom off. I don't really know them well. You could always cut it off and reweld it with the lower plate welded on as I think they are steel. Sounds ghetto, but my buddy did that and converted the shock to a heim style rather than bushing and it actually worked really well.

Widia Cutting Tools

Sterling Autosport

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 162491
alright thanks a lot for your help. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. My shocks have heim style rod ends on them already but not threaded or anything.

This has helped me a lot! And can't beat the price.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 162491
Sweet!!

I looked up various sites about rebuilding the 7100's. And in a picture of them disassembled you can clearly see the bottom heim is threaded on! Makes things that much easier. I would have looked at them, but they are in a locked up lot at my CG Base's Morale Hobby shop right now.

Last edited by The_Punisher; 05-03-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 86280
Quote:
And David D are you talking about these?

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...?productID=660
ya those are the ones.

David D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 125625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
The oil all stays in unless you spill it. The shocks you have you may be able to pull the bottom off. I don't really know them well. You could always cut it off and reweld it with the lower plate welded on as I think they are steel. Sounds ghetto, but my buddy did that and converted the shock to a heim style rather than bushing and it actually worked really well.
Please please dont cut and weld! The rod end of a bilstein screws off. Use a soft jaws and a little heat to break the loctite bond and your good to go. As mentioned earlier you will need a lower cup or washer to keep the bump from being pounded over the rod end. Also if you have one of the newer style wiper caps you may need the older steel style if your going to put some serious jounce load on the 7100.

Further when you depressurize a 7100 the oil WILL NOT leak out oil like a junk emulsion shock. Whether they have a reservoir or not all Bilstein monotubes have a floating piston seperating the gas and oil just like it should be.

Last edited by Random Thoughts Race; 05-03-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Random Thoughts Race is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
The nice Chevy bump stops are GM part # 15712438, rear bumps from a '99 - '06 Silverado 1500. Its less than $60 for 4 of them shipped from gmpartsdirect.com

Info from http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=126799
Attached Images

Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
The nice Chevy bump stops are GM part # 15712438, rear bumps from a '99 - '06 Silverado 1500. Its less than $60 for 4 of them shipped from gmpartsdirect.com

Info from http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=126799
I didn't see it in the posted thread, nor did the GM Parts place have them in stock.

Do they come with the metal 'cup' and stud as well, or is it just the rubber and you have to get the cup from the JY?

Nice find Ben.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4506
Ok, I should have been working but I called around a little. Dealer next door didn't have any in stock, but there was (1) Chevy dealer in the area that had one. Called them and it definitely does come with the metal cup and stud.

Cool. If they had two I might have gone and gotten them for this weekend, but they only had one so I might just have to think about ordering a couple and save some $$. They were $19.03 locally.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 162491
cool. Thanks a lot for the help. I will definitely try the Eibach shock shaft ones and the chevy ones if needed.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
I have a 4 runner with IFS in the front and run 2" bilstein bumps in the front with 5100's and stock 4 runner bumps in the back with 5150's and it works great. My front has 9" of travel and the bumps kick in about 1" over ride height. It works great and really makes the ride nice in the rough and smaller whoops.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86372
The GM bumpstops are amazingly good. I used a pair on the back of a desert buggy with great results.

Coilovers, smoothbody, reservoir shocks, bypasses, bumpstops, and the best prices on springs!

Now carrying LED light bars at the BEST PRICES YOU'LL FIND!!

Check us out on FACEBOOK!!-
motochris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in