Stupid Money Pit buggy build - Page 15 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #351 (permalink)

Member # 32726
PCR #002 looking good.
#001 of Partially Committed Racing
MattyB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #352 (permalink)

Member # 174402
Tried Googling WOD? What is the full name?
kchusky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #353 (permalink)
aka WIZZO

Member # 31550
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchusky View Post
Tried Googling WOD? What is the full name?
wide open design

Diddy's Big Block Race Shop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your #1 supplier for Mark Williams off-road products!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phi564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #354 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by phi564 View Post
wide open design
Bingo - they are one of the better distributor shops around in my opinion. They do really awesome custom work as well (none of my custom work was done by them, if it wasnt me and my friends, it was PJ at M&M Offroad)

But for parts, I usually call them first.

IG: @partiallycommittedracing

slravene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #355 (permalink)

Member # 53677
new shock mounts are done, everything is OK there -

Also went ahead and put this thing on finally. I dont think it was totally necessary, but every little bit helps. (dont mind the brake lines, they are just pulled out of the way for painting)

Now to clean it up and its ready for a Maxxis show next weekend, and then its time to ride!

Last edited by slravene; 02-24-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #356 (permalink)

Member # 21215
Quote:
Originally Posted by slravene View Post
new shock mounts are done, everything is OK there -

Also went ahead and put this thing on finally. I dont think it was totally necessary, but every little bit helps. (dont mind the brake lines, they are just pulled out of the way for painting)

Now to clean it up and its ready for a Maxxis show next weekend, and then its time to ride!
That back brace is baller. Link?
redneckengineered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #357 (permalink)

Member # 32726
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckengineered View Post
That back brace is baller. Link?
Artec Industries 14 bolt BACKBONE Truss
#001 of Partially Committed Racing
MattyB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #358 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB4x4 View Post

I was going to tell everyone that I built it by hand though

but I didnt...the Artec one is actually a nice piece. I am a bit worried about it being only 1/8 plate, but I can always beef it up later if I need to. I might not ever really need to.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #359 (permalink)

Member # 46942
this thing came out
Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #360 (permalink)
aka WIZZO

Member # 31550
Quote:
I am a bit worried about it being only 1/8 plate, but I can always beef it up later if I need to. I might not ever really need to.
I've been a huge fan of the Artec products. Their truss set up is on point. I've got them both front and rear. ONLY complaint is with their DE ram mount. It's all 1/4 plate and mine is BEAT TO FUCK! It is twisted and bent BAD. I'm going to have to cut it off and do something different. Other than that, their product is killer. On my original chevy 60, the ram mount held up fine. On my new HP60, ram mount not fairing so well. Not sure what the deal is.....

Diddy's Big Block Race Shop

Your #1 supplier for Mark Williams off-road products!

phi564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #361 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by phi564 View Post
I've been a huge fan of the Artec products. Their truss set up is on point. I've got them both front and rear. ONLY complaint is with their DE ram mount. It's all 1/4 plate and mine is BEAT TO FUCK! It is twisted and bent BAD. I'm going to have to cut it off and do something different. Other than that, their product is killer. On my original chevy 60, the ram mount held up fine. On my new HP60, ram mount not fairing so well. Not sure what the deal is.....
Yea I like what they have done with the whole ability to build a strong and (relatively) light truss without actually doing any building.

The upper truss on the 14 bolt is theirs as well, its all 1/4 except for the top piece that is 3/8. I had to cut it down a bit (documented earlier in my thread) but that was only due to it being a 2nd hand axle and the guy before me wasn't dealing with as tight of clearances. I have nothing bad to say about Artec...they are a good company.

That is odd about the truss on yours...wouldnt think there would have been much difference? Maybe your driving just sucks now with the new axle

We will see if the backbone holds up...I think it will. But I wont be super pissed if I have to beef it up either. it wont be hard to weld some fishplates over the bent edges.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #362 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB4x4 View Post
sweet. might be doing that for mine!

buggy looks great! hope to see ya on the trails sometime!!
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27

Last edited by 1TFROT; 02-27-2017 at 07:55 PM.
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #363 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TFROT View Post
sweet. might be doing that for mine!

buggy looks great! hope to see ya on the trails sometime!!
it was relatively easy to put on there, a bit of trimming needed to get it all to line up and sit flat, but that is to be expected. If you were just to put it on the absolute flat back of the axle it would probably fit right up...but since I wanted it to be flat with the ground and the axle is pointed pinion up a bit i had to do a bit of trimming to get it all to fit up. No big deal though. I chose also not to weld it to the diff cover; I dont think it really needs that extra little bit of strength and in order to do so and still get to the bolts, it would have needed a decent bit of work...so it is currently not welded to the diff cover in the center piece.

Thanks! Let me know if yall ever venture down this way for some riding!

Old 02-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #364 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
it was relatively easy to put on there, a bit of trimming needed to get it all to line up and sit flat, but that is to be expected. If you were just to put it on the absolute flat back of the axle it would probably fit right up...but since I wanted it to be flat with the ground and the axle is pointed pinion up a bit i had to do a bit of trimming to get it all to fit up. No big deal though. I chose also not to weld it to the diff cover; I dont think it really needs that extra little bit of strength and in order to do so and still get to the bolts, it would have needed a decent bit of work...so it is currently not welded to the diff cover in the center piece.

Thanks! Let me know if yall ever venture down this way for some riding!
just might have to! will do

I'm gonna look into that backbone. my rear axle is tweaked after a long tumble so that would help for sure!
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27

Last edited by 1TFROT; 02-28-2017 at 05:44 PM.
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #365 (permalink)

Member # 53677
I have a few trips under my belt and still happy to report no failures or no major issues. The biggest trail issue I have had is my fan shroud screws backed out and I had to ziptie them back in replaced those with little lock nuts and shouldnt have any other problems.

Part of the deal with Maxxis was to bring the buggy up to a mountain biking event of theirs as a yard ornament / toy to show around some of the team and I have to say, we had a ton of fun up there with that crowd riding on 2 wheels instead of 4. They did a couple of small photo ops which they will be using for some stuff of theirs, but they sent a few samples over that I really liked.

where is sat most of the weekend: (photo cred @Timothyjamesphoto)

took a couple of guys around some little access trails up over the mountain. The last time it will ever be this clean (photo cred @CHamaaron)

Then they had one of the RedBull Riders do his thing for a cool night promo shot. This guy (Aaron Chase) was insane on a bike and was pretty pumped about the 4 wheel side of things too. (photo cred @Timothyjamesphoto)

Last edited by slravene; 03-17-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #366 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Then we took it over to AOP for some night riding and had even more fun:

And I officially knocked the new off.... No dents or anything...just rubbed the powder off in a real deep v-notch backing out of an incoming flop.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #367 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Here's a point of view from the MTB industry: Grits, Hero Dirt, and Fresh Rubber: 2017 Maxxis Appalachian Summit - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

Cool that you were involved.

RIP SCREWZER2
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #368 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
Here's a point of view from the MTB industry: Grits, Hero Dirt, and Fresh Rubber: 2017 Maxxis Appalachian Summit - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

Cool that you were involved.
Hadn't seen that specific article yet! Good read, thanks for posting.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #369 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Quote:
Hadn't seen that specific article yet! Good read, thanks for posting.
I have been involved in MTB for longer than I have been involved with Pirate... I had seen the article from Vital days ago, and immediately recognized what you were describing when I read your post.

It was pretty cool to see the brand crossover.

RIP SCREWZER2
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #370 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
I have been involved in MTB for longer than I have been involved with Pirate... I had seen the article from Vital days ago, and immediately recognized what you were describing when I read your post.

It was pretty cool to see the brand crossover.
It definitely made me want to dust off the bike (or throw my shit hardtail into the woods and buy one of the $8000 Pivots they had us riding around on all weekend...those suckers were NICE)

The crossover is pretty much the reason we were there (obviously) ... the bike side guys are trying pretty hard this year to tie the brand together. They have partnerships with Yamaha too to try and tie even another side into it. The interest from all sides was pretty cool to see. Tech is Tech, I guess!

Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #371 (permalink)

Member # 119356
So how is the buggy working?
bjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #372 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeep View Post
So how is the buggy working?
works great - still no breakage or anything negative to write home about. I replaced the smaller fan fuse with a 60 amp circuit breaker and havent seemed to have any issues out of it yet.

I am tossing around the idea of selling the ORIs and getting into a Radflo coilover package... see my for sale thread if you want some ORIs https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...-fill-kit.html

Started to build a copy of this one too for a buddy of mine who asked for some help. Chassis is the exact same...just 54" wide to carry a few more beers in the back. Similar specs all around as well. Do these pictures show up?

Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #373 (permalink)

Member # 119356
Quote:
works great - still no breakage or anything negative to write home about. I replaced the smaller fan fuse with a 60 amp circuit breaker and havent seemed to have any issues out of it yet.

I am tossing around the idea of selling the ORIs and getting into a Radflo coilover package... see my for sale thread if you want some ORIs https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...-fill-kit.html

Started to build a copy of this one too for a buddy of mine who asked for some help. Chassis is the exact same...just 54" wide to carry a few more beers in the back. Similar specs all around as well. Do these pictures show up?

I seen the ad on hardine...... That is why I am asking. Why the change from ORI'S ?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #374 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Ahh - I am just one of those guys that is forever changing stuff up searching for new things. I have always wanted to give a full coilover/bypass/swaybar/bump setup a try and learn how to tune them and just play with them a bit.

I actually really love the ORIs and may regret selling them, There is nothing wrong with them and they work well...but they are just parts, I can always buy again if I hate the coilovers.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #375 (permalink)

Member # 119356
Quote:
Ahh - I am just one of those guys that is forever changing stuff up searching for new things. I have always wanted to give a full coilover/bypass/swaybar/bump setup a try and learn how to tune them and just play with them a bit.

I actually really love the ORIs and may regret selling them, There is nothing wrong with them and they work well...but they are just parts, I can always buy again if I hate the coilovers.

New chassis is looking good.

Last edited by bjeep; 08-31-2017 at 05:15 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in