Pirate 4x4 banner

Mount remote reservoir to engine?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mrblaine 
#1 ·
I'm mounting a TC pump to a 3RZ using PSC's 8" filter reservoir. My under hood is fairly snug, but I have a nice chunk of space right in front of the intake. Problem is, this is very close to the pump. In mocking it up, it looks like I could just couple the 2 with a 45° AN coupler. Sort of, un-remoting the remote reservoir.

My pumps belt adjustment is with an idler. I could build a pretty good solid mount off of both the upper clamp, & the lower tapped holes on the reservoir. I'm thinking a fitting like this: Russell 640060 would couple the 2 together nicely.

Question 1: Is there something I'm missing that would make this a bad idea?

Question 2: Does anyone know of a stainless version of this fitting? (I'm afraid the constant weird vibes between the 2 solid mounted pieces, of different metals (block is cast, intake aluminum) may cause issues with the thin aluminum piece.) Possibly I'm just over paranoid on this one?

#4 ·
Mounting it to the intake without a flex line is asking for problems.
So use a flex line! I dont see why it wouldn't work with proper lines as it's above the pump. It seems like it would come through the hood pretty far.... not ideal.

#6 ·
I had the same motor, same pump, same pump bracket, same reservoir... and the same thoughts. The exception is my engine was in the truck and there is no way the reservoir would clear the hood. I wound up with a cheapie tg reservoir and bracket mounted to the inner fender. *If* you have room under the hood, I would either fab a mount off of the pump bracket or a service loop (would have to be larger than drawn by mobil1syn, -10 suction doesn't bend tightly).

#7 ·
I'll just hold out on it until it's all mounted in the chassis & see exactly where I'm at. I probably CAN get it off on the shock hoop area, but it's real estate that the overflows are also fighting for. (just getting as much done before complete tear down as I can) They're safer to move to a less than ideal location though. Obviously, I have doubts as to how good of an idea this is, or I wouldn't have asked. A few others feeling the same way just confirms my worries a bit. By my measurements, it was definitely going through the hood, but to be above the pump good, it's going to be poking through pretty much wherever I put it.

Thank you for the opinions gentlemen.

#8 ·
I ran my pump like this for years without any trouble. I used a -10 to -10 fuel swivel and carried a spare - never leaked, never gave me any trouble.

I mounted the reservoir off the power steering pump bracket without any rubber, it was fine. I don't see any reason why mounting it solidly to the motor that the pump is attached to is going to be any different....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.