Pirate 4x4 banner

mega Hi9 rear, which axle seals?

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jr4x 
#1 · (Edited)
switching over my rear Hi9 to a megaHi9, and need to know what type of seals to run, I understand the mega needs to be completely submerged in oil, and they recommend running inner axle seals because you need to completely fill up the housing. I currently run seals on the end of the axle shaft because my wheel bearings require the diff fluid for lubrication, (semi float 40 spline Mosers)

so should I run inner axle seals (spidertrax style), and convert my outers to a sealed bearing? This way Im not filling the axle tubes as well with oil?

or

keep my current bearings and seals and just fill up the entire diff and tubes, seems like this would keep it running cooler, which i know is an issue for the mega, but it seems it would cause leaking at the end of my shaft/tube, I dont need my rotors coverd in diff fluid, these seals are already prone to leaking even with the diff/tubes not full, seems like they would leak for sure with all that oil?

guys at true Hi9 said to only run $wepco 203 diff fluid, that stuff is $70/gal, I probably need 5 gallons to do both diffs, any suggestion on a place to buy it or an alternative?

See less See more
#2 ·
The last Swepco I bought was $64. Redline HD Shockproof is around $50/gallon. I really think that Redline or Amsoil Severe Gear 250 would be fine. You're still gonna spend $250+ on gear oil though. You might be able to save some money by getting a 5 gallon bucket.

#3 ·
thanks jesse, any advice on the seals

Im semi float, so its a pain to replace seals, bearings, retainers, but if thats what i need to do, so be it

#5 ·
Has anyone played with running some sort of pump to inject oil up in the pinion bearings? I hvae no personal experience, just heard of them. Might allow you to run regular oil levels, and save money in the long run with how expensive the fluids are.

I did a search, and came up with this small internal unit that sits inside a 9" 3rd member and is driven via the end of the pinion
Tex Racing Light Rearend Pump - Circle Track Magazine

Tex Racing Ford 9" inch Rearend Oil Cooler Internal Pump NASCAR New Never Used | eBay

#9 · (Edited)
Currie now makes the c-clip style pinion support for Hi9 according to Hi9, but I did notice Currie charges $100 less, Hi9 told me that the one they have made by Currie is specifically for the mega and has improved oiling, but im not sure about that since both are just sitting in the oil.

looking at Spidertrax web site it says their seal are designed upto 35 spline, so not sure about that one?

#8 ·
spidertrax seals, internal baffle also

I added a internal baffle to shield the swepco off vent hole , So housing would breath easier , I ran into a problem with overfilling the housing like recomended, in the rear it tends to block vent building pressure and forcing oil by axle seals . Ps My Spidertax housing needed only 1.5 gals per diff.

#10 ·
I know this doesnt really help for semi float, but....

The Spidertrax seals handle 40spline. The trick is to use two seals, and pack the space between them with grease for each side.

Here is the pic off their website, see the housing only has one seal in it, you can fit a 2nd.

#11 ·
The Currie pinion support for the hi 9 is different because its a high pinion third and the oil passages are different. Thats too bad the price is higher. The other Currie models are for low pinion thirds in either 9 or 10" varieties that are only high pinion when running them in rear/mid engine rigs.

#14 ·
If i run inner axle tube seals like the ones above, i need to switch out my outer bearings to a sealed/self lubricated bearing, which would be a regular roller bearing with a retainer holding it on (semi float), I currently have tapered roller bearings that are lubricated by the diff oil. when i ordered my axles/bearings years ago from Moser, they told me i should stick with a tapered roller bearing that is lubed by diff fluid, because it is stronger than a standard roller bearing that would be sealed, espically in a rockcrawler application due to side loading on the wheels?

Any thoughts here?
should i avoid a standard sealed bearing?

#15 · (Edited)
Taper roller bearing will always be stronger than a conventional roller bearing. Maybe upping your maintenance schedule & replacing a sealed unit is the answer.
Would an option be drilling & tapping a stop (maybe either side of seal) for the Speedway seals somewhere up the tubes work ??
I do like the idea of allowing more fluid into the centre for cooling purposes & those speedway seals would allow extra having them up the tubes a couple inches.

brooksy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.