Pirate 4x4 banner

Ultra 4 Turbo Busa build NC.HR&RR

12K views 56 replies 27 participants last post by  AW10 
#1 · (Edited)
This is going to be bland. And may not qualify. I wonder if a boat motor would meet specs. Or.. Let the trail riding continue.

See less See more
#11 ·
I was wondering how long you were going to ride the sammi. Ive been buying parts to build this exact thing. Have everything but the turbo. Looks like ill stop and wait to see how well this idea works. Might just make my own version of a rzr with it and sell the yota stuff. Hope it works out well for you but i struggled with the idea to put that much money in the motor for a stage 2 kit and still only have around 200ftlbs of torque. I have it in a sammi now also and its a lot more powerfull than I thought it would be but I had always wondered how it will perform with yota axles and 39's.

Couple of questions
Turbo shop said id need to beef up the engine to make it last with a stage 2 kit and it was going to be around 10k to have a motor with 430ish hp. Im curious what kit you bought and what kind of engine work you had done to it?

Also did you use the same toyota stuff off your sammi, and what size tires are those? I bought 85 truck and was going to use a 95 rear axle off a 4runner or something and extend the front axle with the knuckles. Talked to some people and most seem to think that the toya axle wouldnt hold up to 400+ hp on rocks. I was going to more so do rocks and stuff though so with all the unanswered questions and not a lot of money i scrubbed it. Did a lot of looking around and to build something that I thought would hold up and not break every weekend id have to use some heavy stuff which kinda threw off the entire idea because id end up with a lot less power to weight ratio than the guys with a v8 and STILL have to fuck with a clutch. Super glad you built it so now I can see what it would do without spending all the money...eventhough i already have all the hydrolic stuff and engine work done to run it lol.

Cant wait to see some videos of it. Sick build man, I knew I was about to see my "dream" buggy when i saw JThomas post something about a turbo busa buggy... super jealous!

#14 ·
I am using a turbo from a Bugati which used 3 of them. Mazda used the same on a less than 2.0L I made a header and flange. A piggy back tuner with fuel rail will control the fuel and I am going for 300hp which is a reliable power increase. The axles are toy front and IFS rear. Trans is a 5 speed 6cyl case. I think 37 stickies are in order.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to ask ya a bunch of questions for a while now about running the yota stuff and if you were happy with the set up with that much power but as I am learning with having a sammi like you did ( mine is all sammi parts still and no where near as nice as yours was because its still a stock sammi just with Busa motor ) that you get hounded with questions. Hasn't got old to me yet though lol. Seeing as how your going for 300 HP I'd say that the motor ran it fine. Did you go for the 300 mark because it was enough or were you afraid of destroying the Toyota stuff with more aka a stage 2 kit? I don't know enough to make something like that work so I'd just buy the turbo already made for it and a stage one kit is a joke... 50 more hp for 4k??? No thanks. So it would be stage 2 or nothing for me but if I had to go bigger axles and get heavy to be reliable it would defeat the purpose for me. I thought about getting a reverse box and making up the reduction in the tc amd axles to save weight. My thoughs were " if i build a buggy under 2500 lbs, maybe the axles would hold up to 430hp 200tq on 39's." With engine and trans together weighing less than 200 lbs and putting out that kind of power i think I could hit that mark. Plenty of truggies with all yota stuff in the 2500 lb range so its dedinatly possible. Id love to see a buggy under 2500 with that much power. Just curious on your thoughts on that and I'll let the future videos answer the rest of my questions. :)

Thanks for the help!

#17 ·
Take a sprocket for that bike motor, weld a pipe to it, weld flange to other end to match to fly wheel. Done. I used front drive shaft from sammi to correct any alignment issues because it was more or less a hack job. His last one was solid mounted, I'm sure he has 0 play in it though which mine did is why I used a joint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.