Pirate 4x4 banner

Propane

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Patrol 
#1 ·
Does anyone run propane in their vehicle as the primary fuel?

Seems I once saw an episode on trucks or something of the like that did this with a Suzuki samurai...

I know it can be ran like nitrous oxide in turbo diesels but I'm curious if you can run it similar to how a fork lift would?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
I run propane on several of my trucks. I pay the federal road tax when I purchase fuel and buy a state tax sticker($75.00) that covers the state road taxes for each truck.

As far as the diesels, we have a dual fuel system that increases torque, makes it run cleaner and reduces overall operating costs. It can be installed on any size diesel.

#6 ·
And Buddy is a stand up guy to deal with. Called him a few weeks ago with a heavy fuel consumption issue I had and he took the time, after hours might I add, to figure out my problem and part was delivered in a timely manner when he said it would be. Went from 2 tanks a day to a single tank for a weekend. Thanks again Buddy, hadn't had time to call you and tell you the results.

#7 ·
I have Google'd it and found "forklift" parts intended for automotive use. Altfuel do you have a website? I found one legitimate full swap kit site but their kits are limited it seems.

I'm simply searching for some details or pro's and con's of the conversion for a possible future project.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
Here they eliminate the tax. It's a solid $.50 cheaper than regular propane. It varies from state to state and also pricing. I have guys saying they can get propane under $2 a gallon and others live in an area where they get raped for it. Always call your local supplier and get an actual price. :beer:

#9 ·
Propane here is cheap anywhere from $1.30 to $1.60 not sure why I never thought about this before

I do a lot of driving and burn at least a tank of gas a week I have known people that had propane set ups on old trucks but never asked any questions.

How do you refill and where?

Is it anymore dangerous then having a tank full of gasoline in an accident?

Do you have to have a placard on the vehicle that says your transporting propane?

Would you get the same, worse, or better fuel mileage with propane?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
I have a propane retailer that fills my trucks. I pay $2.28 per gallon and they come by my shop and fill them up.

You generally get about 10 to 15% less mileage on propane than gasoline. The exception to this is liquid injected vehicles. Those systems actually get better mileage on propane than gas due to the cooling and pressurizing effect of the liquid expanding.

The only required sign is a propane decal that is to be on the lower right rear of the vehicle for first responders in the event of an accident.

Propane is designated by the DOT as THE safest motor fuel there is. Gasoline is designated as the most volatile fuel.

I have customers filling their own vehicles with gravity feed tanks as well as power driven pump dispensers. Fleet customers that use a lot of fuel can usually negotiate with the fuel provider to get a dispenser provided at no up-front cost with a contract to buy the fuel.

Another benefit is that you can stretch out your oil changes since the oil does not get dirty.

#11 ·
About 80% of the V8 gas trucks in Europe and 90% of all gas cars in the Netherlands and Poland run on propane (LPG) for decades.
Over here LPG is about half the price of gas and some manufacturers, i.e. Subaru, even offer LPG cars as a factory option.
Not every engine will hold up perfectly to LPG due to higher EGTs, i.e. 4.7 Chrysler/Dodge V8's will burn valves under load. If you start with a low combustion engine, or a flex fuel, you're good to go. There are also supplements like Flashlube to cool and lube the valves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.