Pirate 4x4 banner

radiator relocation?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  WideJ 
#1 ·
im having cooling problems in my buggy (74 FJ40 with a 4.3l v6). I have an electric fan and aluminum fan shroud (the radiator is aluminum as well) the engine bay is pretty open and the fenders are removed so there is no reason for it to hold much heat under the hood. The radiator was brand new so i dont think it is a flow issue. does fine for the first hour or 2 on the trails but then it starts climbing. I wired the fan direct so it would stay on all the time. I put some of the "be cool" stuff in it and it helped a little.

I see a lot of people running their radiators in the back (mine would have to be directly behind my seat (a little too close for my liking) and the radiant heat would make it rough. what are you guys doing to help keep the temps down? I have a 185 deg. thermostat in it and typically it runs around there. It got up to 220 last weekend before i shut it down, but it ran close to 200 the rest of the day. i shut it off every chance i got and just let the fan run to cool it off as much as i could.

#10 ·
my 4.3 with a HUGE rear mounted radiator (4 inch thick, ~30 inch ron davis) in my old buggy ran all day long at 210-220. I wouldn'y shut it down until it was up in the 235 range (which could happen if i really stood on it for too long)

#11 ·
transmission cooler is in front of it, will look at relocating it. the steering cooler is under the winch plate away from the radiator.

i would like to put it in the rear but i am limited on space and eventually want to add a 3rd seat and think that the heat would be too much and too close to that seat

#12 ·
im runnin a v8 in my 40 and have not a single cooling issue, with a similiar non fender and open engine bay. i run a alumunim doubkle core-double pass radiator and a puller fan. 200-210 does not sound hot to me at all, if your were hittin 240 then shit yeah do something. perhaps for a test run block the radiator off with some cardboard and take hotlaps around the nieghborhood-it might neve go over 210 or so. you might just be a little too concerned about it-so give it a legit test. im not saying fuck it, itll be fine-im just sayin test it before the event you have coming up and you might be doing alot better than you think.

i have a 4.3 in my DD and i block that bitch off in the winter time-and it never ever gets above 210. that includes stuck in the snow bank bouncing the rev limiter ( sometimes i cant help myself)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.