Pirate 4x4 banner

E-brake dummy light

761 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mwstudt 
#1 ·
I have a 93 YJ with a dana 60 rear on it. A couple months ago I blew out the hard-line brake line going to the rear. As soon as that happened, the e-brake light on the dash came. Over the weekend I fixed the line, and replaced the pistons on the drums. I was able to bleed the brakes just fine, and everything is good with them too. But the e-brake light is still on, and I can't figure out why. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
The e-brake light doubles as a warning light when you brake pressure is low, indicating a leak. It should turn off after you repair and bleed the brakes. If it doesn't reset after turning off the ignition, disconnect the battery to reset the computer.
If that doesn't work, trying bleeding your brakes again.

#3 · (Edited)
I'll mess with them a little more and see what happens. I know there is no air in the line, and that the replaced section is not leaking. With the battery, the jeep sat with a completely dead battery since then. I replaced the battery and fixed the brakes all this weekend.

I was reading that it could also be the proportioning valve? From my understanding, since I lost all brake pressure on the rear of my jeep. I'll have to replace or re-center the spool in the proportioning valve. Does this have any value to my situation?

#4 ·
Yes, you'll need to revenged the spool in the proportioning valve. That will turn off your light.

#5 ·
What is the best way of doing that? I've read about a couple of things to try:

1. Stomping on the brake pedal a couple times, that's suppose to reset the spool.
  2. Bleeding one of the front calipers to help re-center the spool.
  3. Or, opening the proportioning valve to position to spool.

I think stomping on the pedal is the way to go, but wondering if that actually works.

#7 ·
And if that doesn't work opening a front bleeder or cracking the front line at the master cylinder should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.