Pirate 4x4 banner

Th400 winters shifter issue

17K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  RANGERROD 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this has to be a small issue but I have been beating this issue to death on my own trying to figure this out and have hit a wall.

Hopefully you guys can see the simple error of my ways and set me straight.

Classic set up
Th400 rmvb
Atlas
Winters shifter and cable kit.
WOD says the gate plate is the correct part number for the Th400 rmvb

Here is where the problem is: I can't get the shifter all the way down to 3rd.

Everything else lines up with the cable unhooked from the transmission shifter. I can walk through all the gears and the cable puts the shifter in the correct spot every time, I just run out of cable between 2nd and 3rd.
Here is park

Here is 3rd - here is where the cable bottoms out on the sheathing

Here is third from the side

Here is the winters shifter set up

Here is the transmission side mounts

It feels like I'm running out of cable in 3rd.

Any ideas? I feel like it's something super simple I'm missing

Thanks for your help

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Try flipping your shift bracket to where the bend is facing pan and cable on the outside..

cable can go on both sides, but almost a 100% it needs to curve towards the pan...

#8 · (Edited)
Here is a close up of the transmission pan mount

I had it like the directions and everything was a little off, in this configuration, everything lines up but the cable us too short.

I will put it back to illustrate tonight

EDIT: just to be super clear, I've never changed the position of the transmission pan mount, just the cables position from inside the mount like the directions show to what you see now as outside the mount.

#10 ·
i had the same issue on mine, where it was great in park but lacked cable to lock into 3rd all the way. it was simply out of adjustment with th cable. i put the trans in third and adjusted the cable till the lever flopped down againts the gate, then ran it through the gears and back to park. made sure it fit snug in park and third-called it a day-never had an issue since. but it was about a half an hour at least of fin tuning and tweaking the lentgh of adjusters and stuff

#22 ·
I tried to do this. When I adjust the cable out to where the shifter sits in 3rd, all the other positions were not aligned. The alignment got worse the farther away it got from 3rd.

I'm still not sure what is "wrong" but I got the shifter to line up in park AND shift the transmission into 3rd. Just as an observation, the travel from 2 to 3 on the shifter seems to be very short.

All that said, thanks for all your help guys. I hope to have this thing out of the garage this weekend - First time since February.

#12 ·
Cable hooked up at shifter goes to the center of the 5 position's...
hook the cable there first then flip the shifter arm at case if you cant mount cable on the inside try the outside on both pan bracket and arm..
I think you will be good to go..

This post has been deleted
#18 · (Edited)
adjust the blue connecting head out 2 turns.
This was part of it. I put the cable on the inside of the l bracket

double check that you can still land into the park seat on the shifter gate.
This is the most important part. Park needs to lock. I found out after I cranked it up that the cable will go far enough back to engage the transmission but won't sit in the 3rd position on the shifter.

This ain't no go fast rig. It'll ride.

Edited. I was celebrating

#17 ·
What gear were you in for the initial cable adjustment?

Bear ran into that with the 4502 rig. I put the tranny in reverse and the shifter in reverse then adjusted for that gear. Adjust so you can mount the cable to the stud easily with no movement. It cured the full shifter seat in 3rd gear.

Also make sure the tranny arm, number 1 in the install pic, is installed the correct side out. If the slot is not cut perpendicular to the cable stud it will change where the arm is in any given gear.

Flipping the U cable bracket at the tranny will help get a straight pull. Also shouldn't the U bracket holding the cable on the shifter side be flipped the other way? Winters shows it flipped up not down.

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Some advice that I learned.

Adjust the shifter so that you can easily remove and reinstall the ball/socket when the tranny is in 1 and N positions(middle of the stroke). Mine doesn't quite make it to the bottom of 3 nor to the top of P, but goes through all the other gears perfectly.

That makes sense based on what I was experiencing yesterday. Seems odd though that the shifter wouldn't seat completely in 3rd or park. Poor design? Anyway I'll try that out as well as flip the lever on the trans over and make sure cable is between bracket and pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.