Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Rig Trailing Arm Questions

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JETHROBODEAN 
#1 ·
I'm only in the beginning stages of this, so I don't have any good link calculator measurements. I'm planning for links F&R in a Samurai based rig. Front will be pretty basic. Not any real questions there that I haven't found answered a hundred times. My questions are all rear related.

I'm considering a trailing arm rear suspension, solely around packaging. I don't have alot of room out back for shocks to protrude up into the rear seat area (staying 3 seater + cargo) So my thoughts are I could squeeze ~13-15" of travel out of a 10" shock. This would keep the shock basically completely under the body.

Answers I can't really find;

Are there any real downfalls to going this route for a non high speed rig (it will rarely see over 45mph)

I can get about 10° of triangulation per link, I've saw the 40° total separation goal mentioned a few times, this still seem a sufficient number to work with?

Anything extra I'm missing with running a double triangulated trailing arm setup?

Or is this just an all around dumb idea? I haven't saw anyone do it in a few days of searching. Not sure if I'm just thinking outside of the box or missing something crucial here.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't have the greatest measurements yet, just some approximate stuff. I do need to play with it a bit though. I could make it a 3 link with panhard if wanted or needed.

My biggest concerns with these options was whether the trailing arm design has any major effects on how it works, or has any additional design issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.