Pirate 4x4 banner

14 Bolt Pinion yoke swap Qs

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  barillms 
#1 ·
I set up my new gears in my 14 Bolt, put it together with the standard 1350 strap yoke, all new bearing, crush sleeve & pinion nut.

I then decided to upgrade to the U bolt style yoke, which I have but have a few questions about swapping the new yoke over...

Will a 1/2" drive impact be enough to break loose the pinion nut?
It took A SHIT TON of force and a 3/4" drive impact to get the crush sleeve to crush during the initial installation.

Also, my carrier is welded... So with the axle shafts installed, I should be able to just put the 1/2" impact onto the pinion but without holding the yoke with a pipe wrench?

Do I need to remove the pinion carrier after inatalling the new yoke to test the NEW pinion bearing preload??

#2 ·
I did this exact same thing earlier this year. I took a dial torque wrench and found the torque it took to tighten the nut (just barely move it) which was somewhere around 125-150 ftlbs IIRC. I then removed the nut with a socket wrench and then installed the new one set to the same torque I found in step 1. I didnt recheck the preload because it is for trail only. Not ideal using a crush sleeve but it works.

#3 · (Edited)
It a Crafsman 1/2" neumatic impact gun. I have a 4 foot tall compressor.
The hard part was getting the sleeve to crush, so there's a SHiT TON of torque on that pinion nut as it sits.

So you guys recommend that I break the pinion nut loose first.
Then remove the pinion carrier assembly, then move the assemblybto a vise.
Swap the yoke out, re-torque the pinion nut to the proper inch/lbs/preload specs. Then bolt the pinion back into the diff?

Won't pulling the pinion carrier assembly fuck up my gear mesh?
I'd rather not pull the pinion at all.

I was thinking about marking the pinion/pinion nut with paint or a punch so I know how tight I had it cranked down. I don't wanna fuck up my new pinion bearings if the preload isn't set up correctly.

#4 ·
With the axle shafts pulled, I'm gonna measure the inch lbs it takes to turn the entire ring. Then install shafts, torque down the new yoke/nut to where it lines up with my paint marking. Then, pull the shafts... and check again the inch/lbs until I get it to match. I don't want to pull the entire pinion & risk messing up my gear settings.

#5 ·
Just take the nut off, replace the yoke, and put a new nut on with lock tite. Tighten it up with that little impact and call it good. Not much chance you will crush the sleeve any more unless you were using a really stought impact.

#10 ·
removing the pinion carrier will not mess up your gear set-up.

just take the pinion carrier out of the 14b housing and put in the vise and swap the yoke and check the bearing pre-load then reinstall in the housing (make sure put that shim, if used, in there). Shouldn't change the gear set-up at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.