Pirate 4x4 banner

ground clearance measurment

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AgitatedPancake 
#1 · (Edited)
I was discussing with a friend about ground clearance comparison between a dana70 and a 14bolts.

What I need is the measurment between center of axles shafts to bottom of third member casting for both.

I would also like to know if there's a name for that measurment out off center-of-axles-shafts-to-bottom-of-third-member.

Thanks for your contribution in the 4x4 world.

Edit: updated numbers

-Ford explorer 8.8- 5.75 center of tube to bottom of housing. Non shaved.
-HP dana 30-4.75 center of tube to bottom of housing. Non shaved.
-Fj40 (probably all 9.5'' gears) 5.750'' with the oil drain plug in stock form.
-14bolts - 7" (5 3/8'' with intensive ground clearance)
-Hi Pinion 60 - 6"
-Sterling 10.25 - 6.5"
-LP44 - 5 3/8"
-Ford 9 stock (but shaved) - 5 1/4"
-Ruffstuff 9" - 5 3/8"
-Toyota 8" - 4 7/8"
-Low Pinion Dana30 - 4 3/4"

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Having a reference like this will be nice. I've got a lot of axles I'll measure and bring back to this thread:
Note that ALL these numbers are tapemeasure approximations

14b - 7"
HP60 - 6"
Sterling 10.25 - 6.5"
LP44 - 5 3/8"
ford 9 stock (but shaved) - 5 1/4"
Ruffstuff 9" - 5 3/8"
Toyota 8" - 4 7/8"
LP D30 - 4 3/4"

Might take me a little while to fill all this in haha.

#6 ·
I was discussing with a friend about ground clearance comparison between a dana70 and a 14bolts.

What I need is the measurment between center of axles shafts to bottom of third member casting for both.

I would also like to know if there's a name for that measurment out off center-of-axles-shafts-to-bottom-of-third-member.

Thanks for your contribution in the 4x4 world.
I've also been interested in this measurement as well, I'd like to be able to cross reference ground clearance vs. potential strength.

Having a reference like this will be nice. I've got a lot of axles I'll measure and bring back to this thread:

14b
HP60
Sterling 10.25
LP44
ford 9 stock (but shaved)
Ruffstuff 9"
Toyota 8"
D30.

Might take me a little while to fill all this in haha.
Awesome, do werk son! :D

Ford explorer 8.8- 5.75 center of tube to bottom of housing. Non shaved.
HP dana 30-4.75 center of tube to bottom of housing. Non shaved.
Thanks!

#7 · (Edited)
So, we have to name that measurment. I suggest AXLE OCCUPANCY since an axle to do his job needs a third member that needs an housing that occupy some space around the axle. In the offroad world that occupation is an enemy that is necessary (to make the things rotating).

Fj40 5.750'' with the oil drain plug in stock form

#12 ·
This is a list of some of the responses that I got when I started this same type of thread in 09. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/846512-axle-ground-clearance-list.html

trialsintrigger

Looks like from axle centerline down to the lowest part of the housing it is:

Mini: 5.125"

LC: 5.625"

14 bolt: ??

Dana 60: 6.75"

Ford 9in: 5.50"

These are all aprox. and as best as I could do with a tape measure and a long piece of angle iron. The Dana 60, 14bolt, and 9 in are measured from the ground to the centerline of the axle then from the ground to the lowest part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.