Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 60 max steering angle

20K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Buckon37s 
#1 ·
I just measured the angle of my '79 Hp Dana 60 knuckle's at full lock and it's at 32 degree's. I think this was the factory setting. The stop bolts seem to be turned out pretty far. I would like to have a tighter turning radius, but don't want to push my luck.
So the question is what angle did you set your knuckles at? 2nd does the aftermarket have recommended max angles for their D60 joints (CTM, Yukon, LF, etc.)?

#3 ·
That's interesting. What about a heavy multipurpose rig (5700 lb) that see's street miles? What would be a realistic angle? I've heard people say to limit the angle and go easy on the throttle at full lock, but maybe that's outdated thinking. I was thinking to set mine at 35-38 degree's for reliability/longevity.

#11 ·
That's interesting. What about a heavy multipurpose rig (5700 lb) that see's street miles? What would be a realistic angle? I've heard people say to limit the angle and go easy on the throttle at full lock, but maybe that's outdated thinking.
I don't think math get outdated...

#8 ·
How much strength would be lost with machining the shafts. Seems like a lot of material removed in a key stress area. I don't need 50deg but I hated the turn radius on my xj and want to avoid it on my yj.

#9 ·
X2 on this question. I'm considering doing this to my D60 shafts and would like to know if any structural integrity is lost. It doesn't seem like it would actually make the shaft weaker, but I would like to hear from some experts on the subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.