Pirate 4x4 banner

Key with chip

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  customcreationsllc 
#1 ·
so... I am down to my last 2001 jeep wrangler key. and for some stupid reason it has a chip in it. dealer wants over 100, local place wants like 75.

Would my jeep simply not start if I just made a key with no chip in it? l mind you that I can currently pull my key out at any point while driving because whatever holds the key in lock mode in my cylinder is broken so I can pull the key in and out at any point while its on.

Anyone have some super cool top secret way to get around this chip fiasco or at least a cheap way to get a replacement?

#2 ·
you need the chipped key to get it to start. you could get non chipped keys cut and they would start the jeep only if you had the chipped key close enough to work.

you need 2 working chip keys to program a new chip key your self. i would just suck up the $75-100 then buy the chipped keys online for cheap and make 2 spares.

this is what i did with my sisters jeep with chipped keys. if one fails we still have 2 more that will work and we make a new chipped key.

#4 ·
so literally the top part of my key has some sort of signal that says when its close to the jeep? is that just to start it?

because like I said, I can start my jeep. take my key out while its running. and go to the store if I wanted to and it would stay running.

#10 ·
I hear you I bought my wife an 04 town an country minivan and only got 1 key I asked for more but that's all the got.
I bought a normal key just so I can unlock the doors.
Then I have a friend who works at a Chrysler dealer so I got dealer prices and it still cost me over $100 a key
At least it is harder for people to steal.

Is there an EFIlive type program for Chrysler to disable the anti theaft crap?

What do they do for remote car starters?

Could be worse some manufactures if you loose or break your only key remote after locking you need a whole new computer and everything around $1000 I forget which cars exactly I didn't care enough to pay attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.