Pirate 4x4 banner

Full Hydro Problems....I think???

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wilson 
#1 ·
I have a light 22R powered buggy with a toyota front axle 39" reds and the TrailGear Full Hydro Kit.

The issue I'm having is like this When I get the tire sidewall against a rock it wont turn into it.
Everything just stops but the steering wheel still turns, hard but it turns.

Called tg They tell me that is how it is supposed to be.
I tell them I have a couple of buddies that can push their buggie sideways by turning the wheel against a rock.

I questioned their pump and they told me that their pumps were "PSC Pumps" no way was this the problem.

I added two 6" pieces of hose with the correct an fittings but added a 90 degree fitting at one end of each. (2) 90's in each hose
Tg then said that this is my problem..
Talked to several hydraulic and hose guys they say no way is that the problem.

Now I have never had full hydro before but have buddies who do and am going by what their buggies will and wont do.

It's installed right. and Its NEW stuff.

Had people tell me several things
1. its the by-pass in pump
2. bad orbital
3. bad o-ring in ram

I dont want to just start replacing stuff without a good idea of what it might be.

Any ideas guys?

See less See more
#4 ·
It's not rocket science. The steering is being turned by a hydraulic cylinder. If you can't move it as well as your buddies, you either:

1) have less pressure to the cylinder (bad pump)
2) have a smaller diameter cylinder than them
3) o-ring in cylinder is bypassing (would cause steering wheel to keep turning)

Doesn't matter if stuff is new something is defective.

Good luck!

#5 · (Edited)
The outside diameter of the ram measures about 3-1/4 and the center shaft is right at 1-1/16 or there about. Defiantly Bled out

#6 ·
sounds like air, is your res the highest point of your system? do you have an hoses that bend up and back down? i thought i had my system all bled, ran the cooler lines like PSC said, had one line that had a hump in it to get over something and went back down to the orbital. we dropped that line and found it was trapping air in the high spot. just an idea.

#7 ·
Res is the highest I will look for a hump in the line.

It steers great everywhere but against a rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.