Pirate 4x4 banner

Ruffstuff is the Official Repair Station of Ultra4 Racing!

939 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll 
#1 ·

Ruffstuff and KOH, 2013

Again this February we will be back in Johnson Valley with a full crew ready for anything and everything at the Free Ruffstuff Specialties Open Pit!

Lincoln Electric will be with us again in full-force with nine machines plus a 4x4 Torchmate Table to fix, weld, or make on the spot whatever it takes to keep everyone rolling. Remember, we have no restrictions about who gets fixed; racers come first if it comes to priority, but nobody will be ignored! Lincoln Welding has made a big commitment to the Off-road community and will be with us at four Ultra4 events and five other major events in 2013 where we will provide this free service.

This will be our third year with the Open Pit format at KOH and our involvement has grown every year. Last year we repaired 198 different vehicles, this year we have added capabilities and doubled our size. We will be on the entrance end of the main street this year, but will have eight bays rather than three!

We will again have three full service welding trucks, each outfitted with a Lincoln 300amp 10.5KW MIG welder and Lincoln LN25 wire feeder. The trucks will also have canned air, a torch, jacks, and hand tools so while the races are not running we will be mobile and can come to you anywhere. Each truck will be equipped with at least 1 skilled welder/fabricator at all times.

Our main pits will now be in two to four bay tents and will be equipped with two Lincoln 250amp TIG’s, two Lincoln 250amp MIG’s, two Lincoln Tomahawk Plasma cutters, a Torchmate 4x4 Plasma table, chop saws, tubing benders, 6 steel work tables, vices, jacks, jack stands, tubing, sheet stock… You get the idea, we bring the complete shop.

One of the cool things about what we do (especially if you are a welder) is that we allow you to try all the latest and greatest equipment from Lincoln Electric. We know that most of you are welders, sometimes amazingly good and sometimes not so good, but all can benefit from the experience of running a brand new machine. We all know what its like to only have 20 year old equipment, but the new stuff is amazing... If you are looking at plasma machines, there is no better time to check out the Torchmate 4x4 Table in use, and while the pressure is on to get it done right now!

Another big deal will be the full return of Chris and FOA with Shock Tuning. FOA was with us last year, but it was so soon after their factory had burned down that they were pretty challenged. This year they are ready to go in a big way! FOA was the co-founding company of the Open Pit and it would be wrong to be there without them.

All of our co-sponsors from last year will be with us again too, great companies like: Rugged Radios, Harris Welding, Team Tube, and Powertank. These are some of the companies that have seen this as a good idea and have never held back when they could help and we couldn’t do it without them. They are all worthy of your support!

Lastly, I should mention that we will have our display tent in the middle of all this, and if the weather is bad, we will always have something hot going and if it’s warm we will have something cold for you! At least stop by and get a free Tshirt while they last and a coozie when you need one…

See less See more
#6 ·
I am glad to see you come back for more! 2012 was rough on you guys.

I needed some tech advice on Tuesday afternoon, and it was like dealing with zombies!
Don't get sick next year! Thanks for all your help, and for your products.

If you do the "Speed Trap" again, do it on the lake bed.;)

#9 ·
Last year was long and very tough on us... I was pretty happy when I was told it wasn't starting on Saturday this year, and hopefully nobody gets sick because we were all sick nearly all 12 days...

That is part of something new we are doing this year. One of our customers and teams we help sponsor is Skinny Pedal Racing. They have volunteered to take a day off our hands to give my guys a day off to relax and refresh before the end. There are not enough of them to do it all (we bring 10+ guys) but they are enough that only Garett and I will have to work that day.

It will add a bunch of new faces to the group and for good measure. The whole event is like a family reunion or brotherhood thing to me, I love meeting everyone and really just live all year for it. I'm very happy that we have become such an important part of it for so many people!

#10 ·
Dan,

I was going to call you today to see what you were bringing. It's a great thing for use east coasters not having to drag our welders and torches across the country. Even with a semi we run into weight problems and wear and tear. This is what makes Ultra4 so enjoyable. Even if we weren't Ruffstuff sponsored we could still count on your support!

Can't wait to have some cold ones and help fix something if we have the time! If you need anything from us just let us know. We are planning to have tents fairly close to you.

#12 ·
dan,
you and the ruffstuff crew are top notch, always helpfull on my rig and do alot for the offroad community. hopefully you'll get a little time to actually ENJOY the race!!!

JB

#13 ·
I would suggest bringing a thumb drive with link mount, and steering mount tab DXF files along with you so you can quickly upload files to the Torchmate if you have any issues on the lakebed, as Torchmate will be working with Ruffstuff this year as opposed to a stand alone vendor booth. This allows Torchmate to attend more events, and support the service Ruffstuff is providing. Lincoln Electric Cutting Systems is proud to support the expanded Pit support program for 2013.

Of course if you are considering a CNC cutting table this is a great time to have the chance to play with the software, and demo a machine. There is always someone who needs a tab, and why beaver through a piece of plate with a hacksaw on the lake bed when you can cut it on a Torchmate?:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.