Pirate 4x4 banner

dana 60 knuckle stripped what would you do?

8K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  K5runner@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
I mainly read alot on here but have a question on a stripped king pin cap bolt on the knuckle. I have a high steer arm on the passenger and i was torquing down the bolts and one would never tighten up. I'm way over budget but don't want to skimp out on a very important item.

Was thinking about doing a thread insert but don't know if it will hold up the torque
Option 2 is to drill it out and go to the next size bolt.

What's everyone's take on this

#3 ·
I think a time sert or helicoil would be an inappropriate repair for this application. I just can't see either holding up over time. I would drill it out to the next size up and replace the bolt or stud but then availability of a stud that size might become a problem. Is replacing the knuckle an option?

#7 · (Edited)
aftermarket knuckles are out of the budget. I can drill and tap it. Im not rock running the truck its a s10 that will prob see hydro assist since its going to get locked in the front later. Ive heard it a few times about you should only use studs with a high steer arm and ive head alot say other wise. I live a few miles away from steve at differiential engineerig ill see if i can get one off him.

#10 ·
Drill them out and tap them 9/16-18. A 1/2" hole is some where around 60% thread engagement for a 9/16-18.

#11 ·
If done properly the helicoil should be just fine if used with studs. Take your time drilling and do not waller the hole out by letting the bit walk. This will reduce the inserts thread engagement.

#16 ·
For a decent budget fix, I'd have no reservations at all with doing a helicoil threaded insert to repair the the threaded hole. I have no reason to believe the repair wouldn't be at least as strong as the other holes and in all likely hood, it will probably be stronger.

#19 ·
Thanks for the help. Im going to look into a time sert but will look for a replacement knuckle. This truck wont see rocks since im a mudder dont have any really here in florida.

Specs on the truck are d60 14b ff disc converted with a orb of traction from what ive seen on here. both axles are 100 % rebuilt with 5.13s and the price is killing me of the aftermarket knuckles. Yes it would be nice but its out of the question.

#25 · (Edited)
are the heli coil inserts going to provide enough thread and once i drill it out and install the insert, wont it be slightly bigger then the actual stud its self giving it wiggle room? thinking of going slightly bigger getting cone washers and ordering some arp studs if its not bad or ill stop by fasten all for some hardware.

ive used the heli coil inserts on the calper bolt that holds the slide

#27 ·
I havent made the call and found out it was stripped sunday and yes i would be better off buying one out of state most likely. If my call dont get me one.

King pin axles here for fords are a very sought after item or any thing d60 is and seems to be gold around here. I bought my 60 for 750 and have done a complete rebuild on it. nothing hasent been replaced yet but this damn bolt that stripped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.