Pirate 4x4 banner

NP435.. lost reverse.. kinda

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  KYODER 
#1 · (Edited)
About a year ago just backing out of driveway the tranny pops out of reverse. Like its not fully seating with full contact. The shifter goes into gear but not "locked" in if that makes sense. Even if I hold the shifter under pressure. Now it doesn't pop out and grind all the time, that's how I can still drive it. On the last Rubicon trip it acted up.. So on "load" it pops out, little or no load it works.. (But still not seating all the way) awhile ago it was hard to shift into 3rd. And down shifting into 2nd was a bitch..(two hands) Since then I have done a fluid change with 50W royal purple oil. Now it shifts like butter...... Except for reverse...

Any adjustments or ideas? Bent fork??

Aaron

#2 ·
Mine used to pop out of reverse. Did it one too many times and caused the syncros on the 2nd gear to seize on the shaft and that was the end of that tranny.

#3 · (Edited)
I had this happen two times. Both times mine did this was being under a big load in reverse. What happened was it spit the bearings out of the reverse counter shaft. What I did was build a bronze bushing that went the length of the shaft and hot tid of those bearings. It only spins when in first and reverse. It worked perfect and also solved the problem of NP 435s walking out of first gear. Transmission is going on 15 years( now in friends Jeep)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.