Pirate 4x4 banner

weld in bungs vs. tapping

9K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  TheRevolution 
#1 ·
Going to be linking my YJ when I swap in 1 ton axles. Got the 3 link and 4 link kits from RuffStuff to make my life easier. Question I have now is, do I use the weld in bungs that came with the 1.25" heims, or do I tap the control arm tubes and just thread the heims straight into the tube?

#2 ·
I have always taped the tubes no real reason other than I could well and you cant weld steel bungs to aluminum.

No really......tap the tubes :homer:

#8 ·
One negative to welding bungs is, after welding one could deform and "heat treat" the threads. And the tap can and will get F'ed up from it while chasing them. I had to die-grind a few of the "heat treated" threads so that the tap can get passed it. Just another reason to tap the steel instead of welding bungs onto the links.

I think the biggest holdup for tapping to a home builder is being able to drill a correct sized hole into the steel to tap it. Especially for those of us that do not have a lathe.

#12 ·
we usually put some anti-seize on an old heim or TRE, thread it into the bung and weld away. never had a problem doing it that way.

Brian

#14 ·
I've welded probably 20+ bungs into tube, and have never had a failure/thread deformation. First, I tack weld the bung in 4 places. Then I take an old joint, smear the threads with hi-temp anti seize, and thread it in so all of the threads in the bung are occupied. Then I weld one 90* section of the bung (between 2 tack welds), flip it over and do the other side. I then take a screw driver and thread the joint in and out for a minute or two to be sure that the threads aren't deforming. Once it has cooled down a little, I do the other two sides. I follow up with some more threading in/out of the joint.

Not saying it's the right/best way....but it's worked on my rig for 4 years, and my friend's for 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.