Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana70 6.17's

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  xj9140 
#1 ·
What would be the maximum horsepower Dana 6.17's could survive to podium finish a KOH type or equivalent race or is it even possible with the small gears?

#4 · (Edited)
Depends if it's a lightweight KOH car or a big dumb KOH car. I've run 9" 6.20's and 6.50's for the past 4 years and they don't scare me. My old trail rig had 6.17's with a 22re and never had an issue. I don't think they're all that much weaker than a 5.13, maybe 10-15%?

I think 400 or less would be ok (stock 6.0, 5.3, LS1). Completely depends on driving style.

#12 ·
X2!!!
I honestly don't consider myself to be an aggressive driver(can't afford to be) I have my moments like anybody else, but it puzzles me how so many others think that they are. Shit, on the rare occasiona I do decide to "wheel" in the yard, I can muster up enough calamity to at least make the dog hide in fear!!

#15 ·
To finish top 3 requires a great car/ parts/ driver and team as well as a healthy amount of money. The odds of that team existing with that much time investment in their program and choosing to run a 70 is slim imo. Alot of teams are really stepping up their prep and their race programs and going really fast.

#18 ·
Nothing to add other than I have 3 factory sets of those gears sitting around in housing I'd love to sell you for spares:homer::flipoff2:

As for what axles a fast rig is built around, most that want to go fast in the big deep stuff don't choose a heavy axle to do it with especially in the front) and most don't choose a cast/tube style. More metal (weight) to glue link tabs around a cast third and just heavier overall.

#20 ·
East coast style wheeling...... Not really what you are wanting to do, but a friend of mine has a cj with 49s an a 406 with a Muncie behind it stretched out.
He has rung teeth off of two ring gears so far( an he is not all that heavy footed)
Just my experience with them

#28 ·
Their is no 35 spline pinion's available in a 70, there aren't aftermarket housing's nor are their spools readily available.
The op asked about podium koh with a 70, not who has run a 60 in the front with success. The ring and pinion strength gains from a 70 to a 14 are significant. I agree their is a lot of dumb in this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.