Pirate 4x4 banner

Dynatrac Ball Joints

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  FC4X4 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried Dynatrac's Dana 60 ball joints in a buggy or more specifically an Ultra 4 car? Reading about them on Dynatrac's site they seem pretty nice, but they're also over 4 times the cost of Spicer stuff ($600 a set). Is this stuff worth it? For $600 they better last at least 2 seasons before needing a rebuild.

#8 ·
I've heard that the Dynatrac balljoints are basically just a spherical bearing inside, but they're sealed from dirt/mud getting in them, and I think they're greasable, so in theory they should be very strong and last a long time.

might be worth calling dynatrac to get some better tech info about them?

In the desert the spherical bearings in spidertrax knuckles seem to last forever, Erik's were still pretty tight after Vegas to Reno which was 600+ miles of prerunning and racing. The mud/water from east coast races gets in them and make them wear out insanely fast, we're going to work on a solution to help solve this issue.

#9 ·
The Currie knuckles come with Spicers. I replaced the uppers only with Moog (lifetime warranty) before the Badlands race. Everything is still pretty tight so I guess they're holding up pretty well.

I'll see if I can get in touch with Tony Pellegrino.

#10 ·
I run the ProSteer ball joints in my JK and in a Super Duty I built.
They are well worth the piece of mind that comes with a high-end, American made part designed and manufactured with the off road enthusiast in mind.

Read up on them, they do a lot more than just allow rebuilds while installed. The fact that they allow full motion of the inner C as it flexes without additional bind is ingenious.

Plus, Dynatrac stands behind their products and they don't copy others.

#15 ·
I heard back from Tony Pellegrino about his experience with the Dynatrac joints -

"They hold up pretty good. 10x what a high quality 1 ton ball joint would do. We were wasting the standard ball joints in a half day."

#16 ·
Tony's feedback is pretty typical of what we're hearing from competitors. It's an easy service item (although we've only sold a handful of rebuild kits) and is much stronger than typical ball joints. Part of the advantage is that the upper joint can angle too. This puts less stress on the inside of the joint if the end forging (the 'C') deflects under impact.

#17 ·
I was doing some searching on these, and I need some. If dynatrac wants to sponsor a set, I would be more then happy to beat the living shit out of them and report back. I'm building a rig to run dirt riot this year, and to keep things on the cheap I picked up a ball joint Ford D60 to run in it. Shoot me a PM, I'm not in a huge hurry, I only need to have the rig together by March 30th! :laughing:

#21 ·
We threw a set in for the EMC. No problems with them after a bit of pre-running and 73 race miles. I'm not crazy about the low clearance below the lower ball-joint. We have already gotten into them pretty hard with the rocks. I think my old ball joints were flush on the bottom, but always worn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.