Pirate 4x4 banner

Toyota SAS- I have a pathetic turning radius, HELP!

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  sandlvr69 
#1 · (Edited)
I didn't post in the Toyota section because this is kind of a general question for the general section. I picked up a mostly-finished 2001 Tacoma exo'd crawler this week with a high pinion, king pin D60 (Ford F350) up front and Ford D60 rear. Not narrowed, and running on 77-83 Cherokee/Wagoneer springs. Tires are Wrangler MTR in 40/13.5/17 on H2 rims. It's a sweet setup and has a lot of potential but one of the first things I'd like to iron out is the terrible turning radius-the tires get into the leaf springs- since it needs new tires, I'm starting with this. With a D60, that big punkin needs some tire under it and I'm leery to go less than 37 and I don't want to go coil spring. Anyone know of a still-large tire in narrow width? I like the way a narrow tire drives and hooks up and don't want to space these wheels out even further to get my turning radius.

#7 ·
That axle has a relatively wide spring perch width, you will need to change your wheel offset to keep the tires out of the springs. For future reference a 78-79 F-350 D60 has a narrower spring perch width and would be more likely to give you the needed clearance to run that wheel/tire combo.

#8 ·
That axle has a relatively wide spring perch width...
Yer darn tootin' it's wide! It is in beautiful shape though, I'm keeping it. I knew there must be a reason why I kept hearing 78-79 when it comes to Ford D60's, this must be it.

Thanks for the responses! I'm learning a bunch here.

In looking through this site's D60 guide, I saw that 15" wheels can be fitted with grinding of the calipers. This opens me up to a lot of offset possibilities and the Super Swamper in 38.5x11x15. I think that shorter/narrower tire alone would help me lots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.