Pirate 4x4 banner

ARB air locker, front vs. rear?

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  RedBullJeep 
#1 ·
First, some brief info on my rig- I drive a 2001 Tundra TRD 4.7L 4x4 access cab on 285/75r16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, with OME 886 coils, 5100s and Camburg UCAs.

I drive a lot when there is enough snow that you can't see the pavement and I have been pleased with the open front and rear diffs for driving on those snowpacked roads. However, I do end up driving in places without plows or pavement in excessive snow.

Last week I was up at my buddies cabin at 9500' during a snowstorm and was the only vehicle (the rest didn't have enough ground clearance) to make it all the way out on the 24" of snow that had fallen within the past few days. I spent the night and woke up to another foot of snow. While trying to turn around in a tight spot, I got stuck. My rear drivers side wheel was buried and spinning while my rear passenger side wheel was up on a hard-packed area and doing absolutely nothing. In the front, my drivers side wheel was up on hardpack and doing nothing while my passenger side wheel was buried and spinning. This was frustrating, but I understand that the power will go to the wheel with the least resistance with open diffs. It took an hour of shoveling and airing my tires down to get out. I am going to purchase a hi-lift jack and carry the proper chains and straps to use it as a winch in the future.

I do not want a locker for everyday driving or for driving on those snowpacked roads, but I know that a locker would have helped me get out of this stuck in the snow situation with less shoveling. My truck will never be rock crawling, but I would like to play in some mud, take it down trails in Moab, and play in deep snow and make 4 wheeling a little easier on myself. I am under the impression that a selectable air locker would be the best way to go, but it will take me a minute to save up the funds. I am wondering if it is preferred to put it in either the front or the rear for situations like mine, and for what reasons? It seems like the majority installs the air-locker in the rear. I have also read a bit into obtaining the rear limited slip for my Tundra, but it sounds like it would cost just a couple hundred bucks short of the ARB air locker. There was one being sold used on Pirate4x4, and I was imaging the rear LSD in my truck and a front selectable air-locker. But, that sounds like a little more money than I'd ideally like to spend.

Thanks for any insight.

See less See more
#9 ·
Are you doing the install? Or paying for labor

I'd do it a round about way to get the front and rear better.

I'd buy a axle for the rear with a locker or Limmited slip then sell your axel to make back on your purchase.

For the front, I would rather have a locker up front, it's easier to pull up and object than push into it and I've found a front dead tire and material in front of it mean you are often going no where and your back tires will just spin.

A rear that is unlocked if you are climbing has the benefit of weight transfer for traction, and you have the tracks your front tires already made when on flat ground so it's less likely you are pushing much material compared to the front.

That's my opinion. Front locker install is a lot more labor though$$

If you are looking for the easiest option I'd just get a already locked rear axle and bolt it in then sell yours.

#10 ·
I am no master mechanic and have never done this before, but would be willing to take on an install with a good write-up to follow... if it's a PITA, i'd be alright with taking it to a shop to get done. I am always willing to get my hands dirty to save a few bucks, though.

Where online would you recommend looking at picking up or selling a rear Tundra axle? I'm curious to see what I could find.

Anyone know what labor typically is either in terms of time or dollars for a front and for a rear air-locker install?

The truetrack is intriguing, but I still think a selectable locker is what I'm looking for. If I'm on snow-covered roads, I don't drive like an asshole and can't see the LSD making my truck drive much better than it already does. She sticks to the road. I'm looking at a selectable locker to get me through deep snow when the open diffs favor sending power to the wheel with no traction.

Thanks for all the replies. Good info.

#15 ·
Your truck might just have some type of Limited Slip or traction control. Did you try using the brakes while you were stuck to engage the other tires? Nevertheless you might want to find out from either the dealer or Tundra forums how added traction devices will work with the factory traction control. I drive a Ford F350 and live in MT I am adding a TruTrac to the rear and a powerloc in the front. I would like to have on board air and a winch on my Ford as well but it just takes a lot more cabbage. I have another vehicle with dual ARB's but that is a dedicated play rig. If you wanted to add an onboard air system of some kind anyway then that makes the ARB's a little more appealing if you have some deep pockets. For the slick roads you just want to stay away from any full blown locker. With the limited slips you can still drive the slick roads just fine. As much actual locking the front will see I think the front diff will be fine. Tundra Forums might give you the best info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.