Pirate 4x4 banner

Ultimate Adventure 2013

102K views 586 replies 103 participants last post by  EHeye 
#1 ·
The UA 2012 thread has been well received so I thought I`d start a new thread for the upcoming UA 2013.

To me at least, this type of event is the epitome of wheeling. Bruising your junk during the day. Including some mall crawling from wheeling area to wheeling area. Camping with a bunch of buddies and telling lies around the campfire. All while enjoying the camaraderie that a like minded group like this has to offer.

What is RP up to this year ? Where would you like to hold the UA event at ? What rig would you want to wheel ? How would you equip your rig ?

Plenty of new camping gear that has come out lately. Whats hot and whats not ?

What do you guys think ?

If this seems to be an R on the original UA thread I`ll delete and do the blender trick..............

#4 ·
I'll most likely reapply this year. Kinda hoping its somewhere in the southwest this year. I'd really like to wheel in Arizona/Nevada region.

Of course, I really wanted to wheel in the PNW, but I didn't make the cut! :flipoff2:

#5 ·
I'm surprised they're not running out of legal places to wheel yet.
I like UA... but all the road driving would suck. I can't believe some of the rigs actually make it with all that pavement in between locations. Sounds dreadful to me. Adventure YES. Fun ... NO.

#6 ·
The road days are just as fun. Pewé stays as far away from highways as possible. It is also common for him to lead the crew down dirt and tight windy roads that are way less fun pulling a trailer. I believe Rick is a history buff and this is his way of time traveling to and through the back country and small towns that have not changed in 30 years. I swear his dream would be to be one of the great pioneers who 1st crossed this country accept he would want to do it in a 4x4. There is nothing like 20 rigs invading a fuel station where there is dust on everything accept the beer. Having kids point as you travel through and then trying to keep up on their bicycles. If your rig is not equally set up for the road as it is the trail, you'll either need to man up during the road days or just stay home. Think of it as an endurance test that last8 days.

#8 ·
Fred Perry is invited to UA year after year. He owns Clemson4wheel Center and his store/shop is 10 mins from my house in South Carolina. He loves it and comes back with all kinds of stories each year. It's one of those trips that sounds awesome but makes you wonder how things feel on the 9th or 10th day when you are driving back home from the trip.

#13 · (Edited)
i wont apply this year, but I will when my rig is ready; a trail-ready and road trip-worthy rig.

have all past UA's been in the US? i'd be interested to see them go north of the border, or maybe do a winter UA to switch it up. Maybe even a Canada to Mexico UA, (or vise versa).

#14 ·
The UA is one of the coolest trips on the planet. Spending a week or more wheeling and hanging with 50 of so people with the same passion for offroading as us was epic. Coverage is great. not knowing where your going is awesome..... if you havent been... it needs to be a priority...

#16 ·
I want to enter this year. My vehicles have changed through the years, and as I get older, I'm moving back towards something witha body that can be driven down the road without fear. "Destination" wheeling has always had a larger appeal to me than running a crazy line or conquering a single obstacle.
For a route, depends on time of year. The desert in the summer would be miserable, but not bad spring or fall. I think anywhere they go would be worthwhile and an unforgettable experience.
I have been downsizing my gear ever since I got my first fj40, which helped also with the buggies. My camping gear takes up very little room, especially now that I traded a tent for a Hennessey Hammock.

#18 ·
Speaking of tents........
Kamp-Rite :: TentCots :: Kamp-Rite Collapsible Combo Tent Cot - CCTC

Think this was spoken of in the 2010 UA. But in 2010 they did not have the collapsible model. Just the fold ups.

I have an Oversize fold up model if someone wants to pay the shipping.

I`ve snagged several of them (ones in the link) from Kmart or Sears on sale for a 100 bucks or so. We have used them quite a bit and am very happy with how they work. Setup is only a few minutes and your not laying on the ground. Once taken down they roll up into a very manageable package.

#21 ·
Our K2500 was awesome on the road to the point that we could feel disconnected from the world. But it sure was nice filling up about every other fuel stop and being comfortable on the road. It's not really terrible on the trail either but I did wish for a buggy a few times.

We just sleep on the ground, sometimes in a tent when there's bugs and moisture, sometimes just on a pad. I was glad for a good tent the one night last year when it really rained. Mine is pretty small and easy, the jeep guys put up a garage size tent every night that seemed like a pain.

You don't have to worry about the showers so much since it seems like there's a hose or a creek or a rainshower about everywhere we end up. It's really not too bad that way.

As much as I like trip that go north I think the southeast could be fun. There's got to be some cool stuff in the mountains of new Mexico and az too that wouldn't kill you in the middle of the summer.

#31 ·
I felt the same way about the mudd grapplers, I wanted 40" trail grapplers but they were not available at the time. But to be honest, the mudd grapplers kicked ars. I have a new found respect for them. They did great in everything and are a good round true tire. I drive 85-90 mph and no shimmy or shakes and no bouncing. And I never even balanced them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.