Pirate 4x4 banner

Mitsubishi 9.5" Strength ?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BarrelRoll 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

A fellow forum member has suggested that i use mitsubishi 9.5" diffs for my Unimog axles. They can be found with factory fit lockers.

Found in monteros, pajeros and shoguns i think.

I was wondering if anybody on here had used them on a buggy before and if so how strong were / are they ?

I've read conflicting reviews on google about the spline count - either 31 or 33 (pajero site says 33, ARB list says 31). Size is listed as 35.5mm (EDIT : Sorry, it's an irs for the 35.5. The axle version are 33.5mm with 31 splines.)

I realise that in a portal application it's slightly different to a normal axle but it's just to get an idea of strength.

My engine will be a rover v8 4.6 (220bhp, 280 ft lb). Engine will be rear mounted.

My list of advantages are :
- Cost, for £200ish i can get an axle with diff. (An arb is pretty much £600+ for a diff)
- Availabilty - a fair few in the UK
- Short pinion compared to the unimog which is what i'm trying to get away from
- I can choose my diff position in the axle tube
- No need for a reverse transfer box. Reverse transfer box only has 1 ratio and is devorced. So saves me buying a transfer box as i have 'normal' ones already.

Disadvantages :
- I'll need to have a complete set of shafts making.

Unknown :
- Strength
- Diff locker mechanism strength
- Is it a 2 pin or 4 pin diff

Thanks

Gordon

See less See more
#2 ·
Do they have a high enough gear ratio (numerically low) to work with portals? I can't say I've heard of anyone in the states running one. You might have better luck on a UK or european 4x4 site.

Most people in the states run Ford 9" with mog portal boxes because they are strong, you can get a really high ratio ring and pinion, most are aftermarket housings and 3rd members with no factory parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.