Pirate 4x4 banner

Skin Templates?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  DoctorWheels 
#1 ·
In preparation for making my skins, I'm thinking of making some "paper" templates first. I have a few curves to deal with. In my head, I'm invisioning that old brown/whiteish stencil paper on a roll. Anyone know what that stuff is called? Is there something that would work better?

For smaller stuff, I always cut up a 30 pack. That's the type of stuff I'm looking for, just in a long version... :laughing:

While I've got ya... Any thoughts on the curves? I'm thinking maybe a strip of MDF to make a big ass French Curve?

Here's the side view...

See less See more
#2 ·
Red rosin paper is what I think you are wanting, we get it around here at the local lumber Yard. You might know this, but if you lay the paper on the tube, then run/rub a piece of tube across the outside it will make a perfect copy on the inside, FYI. just my .02

#4 · (Edited)
You might know this, but if you lay the paper on the tube, then run/rub a piece of tube across the outside it will make a perfect copy on the inside, FYI. just my .02
Nailed it.

X2 on poster paper from CVS/Walmart.

Also, a small air hose is good for making complicated radius templates over the poster board. Tape the hose down, trace. This is how I made my rear fender wheel well openings. The poster template is easily transferred to the opposite side.

Good luck.

#6 ·
I keep several length's of copper tubing in the shop for the purpose of making radius bows and angles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.