Pirate 4x4 banner

Spongy brakes after 1ton swap

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Z()LTAN 
#1 ·
Hey fellas,

I've just finished swapping in a chev 60/70 under my HZJ75 Toyota.

I can't get the brakes to bleed up to attain a hard pedal.

I'm running a 15/16 master Cylinder with large chev 1t brakes.

With the engine off in can get the pedal hard but as soon as I turn it on and get vac pressure the pedal goes to the floor.

I don't see any evidence of air in the lines either.

#2 ·
Not gonna happen. I have almost the identical setup, right down to the big toy master. It just won't push enough juice. You will be able to stop and it will work. But you will never get a hard pedal and normal feeling brakes unless you put a 1 ton master on. Ruffstuff sells one with an adapter. I have one but have so much crap (shock hoops,hydro steering) in the way I decided to live with the softer pedal.

#7 ·
Tom , I am running the 1inch Cruiser MC on my setup and it seems OK

Although I haven't hooked up the Vacuum yet , so I could be in for the same dramas .... Gotta look thru your pics , I have a feeling you have the bigger calipers??

#10 ·
I am not familiar w/ the toy stuff, but a lot of overseas stuff run similar booster/master combo's, from the point of view that dimensionally they interchange as far as mounting points and master/booster bolt togetherness.

A buddies sidekick (yeah I know but keep reading) running 1 ton stuff went to a subaru legacy set up. It is 1 and 1/16 and is a bolt up to zuk. you may want to take a stroll w/ a tape measure around your local pick n pull. FTW on his was a swap to the subi booster and master. Deadly pedal and brakes. I have a 1 1/16 on my exploder on tons. Works when I don't have a nagging rear line problem. Both of these set-ups are running russel proportioning valves. I have disks in the rear and he doesn't. Just a couple things to think about.

#11 ·
You can make an adapter to put a gm style master on your booster, you may want to switch to a larger booster also. I'm not familiar with the hzj75 stock brakes, so I'm not sure what you have now.

Also, what calipers are on your axles? That makes a huge difference also

All this info has been covered many times over the past 10 years on here, (specifically in the Toyota section), search and read, there are some common setups that work well for many people.

#14 ·
Can't tell you exactly which m/c to run.

Having just went through a 1 ton swap with rear disc coversion, I found the exact problem.

If they worked prior to swap, save money don't replace the booster.
My stock m/c was 1-1/8" bore.
I replaced the stock proportioning valve with an in-line adjustable from jegs.
Sourced a master with a 1-1/4" bore.

Basicaly I was not moving enough fluid.

I can now stop my 41's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.