Pirate 4x4 banner

Clayton Off Road Mfg Go Fast ZJ Build - 4600 Class Ultra 4

75K views 155 replies 64 participants last post by  dbla780 
#1 · (Edited)
We started this ZJ a few months back for current King of the Hammers King Erik Miller of Miller Motorsports . The rig is a 5.9 ZJ, that will have some extensive motor work done, wheelbase stretch, Spidertrax axles, Pac Racing Springs, Advance Adapters, Rugged Radios, and Howe Performance Steering to name a few.

To start, we used Solidworks to prototype our ZJ Subframe and link suspension.

Here is the start of our front suspension:

Here you can see both the front and rear suspension setups:

The we added in our coil buckets, subframe, and crossmembers:

Alex
Marketing Director
Clayton Off Road

See less See more
#7 ·
Sick. I'm a Clayton's guy from way back in the zj days. I'm so totally pumped for this build.

#12 ·
I hope I start ahead of Erik, that will be the only way I will see him, as he flys by me!

Clayton, keep up the good work, I can not wait to see this on the lakebed.

#13 ·
That kit would have been handy...three months ago when I wanted the exact kit for a customer's ZJ going to Baja, but alas he was not the King so we had to install the standard ZJ kit. :flipoff2:

I like the sub-frame addition.

#15 ·
Right now the kit is only a prototype. We will look into selling it as a kit after we finish with the project and KOH is behind us.

Here it is at ride height with our PAC Racing Springs:

We are in the process of building double shear steering using the Spidertrax knuckles.

Alex
Marketing Director
Clayton Off Road

#18 ·
It looks like the rear lacks triangulation and with bent uppers that's not a good combo. With strong materials and components it may not be an issue. Any reason you didn't spread the lowers apart at the axle?

#23 ·
Back in the day that's what we did. Just let the arms push the floor up and be done with it. Or use a sledge hammer.

#27 ·
Erik brought the jeep to Miller Motorsports South aka Bro-King HQ for completion. Scott and I have until January 25th before it leaves for Johnson Valley. This weekend, we finished dis-assembly and began the cage. Sorry for the shitty pics. We can only work on this thing nights and weekends.

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
Please note the highlift jack, lifting the cage away from the body so I can weld the bottom sides for the joints. The cage sits down nice on the body.

This will be pretty much the extent of the exo-cage work. We were trying to keep it simple and clean, give a little protection, but mainly getting the overhead bars out of the cab for interior space. My old XJ was a head banger with the interior cage, and Erik is taller than me, and is putting giant 3G seats in it.

#32 ·
any 5.9L gurus out there? I am trying to figure out how to plumb fuel to this thing.

I have -6 an fittings coming off the fuel cell, whats the best way to adapt the factory rails to mate up to this? Is there a quick adapter? Also, do the factory rails have a return, or do I need to plumb in a pressure regulator/return assembly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.