Pirate 4x4 banner

p/s p pump help

687 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  91extsas 
#1 ·
well to start off i'm a cheap fu** and don't want to spend 200 dollars on a aftermarket steering pump when I have read they do pretty much nothing but mess with stupid little stuff.

here is my predicament I have a 91 chevy ifs Saginaw box drilled and tapped. running a 1.5" ram with an 8" stroke. stock p pump. I still have to run the cooler, remote reservoir and filter. but ijust got my ram mounted and lines run. I had power steering before I hooked the lines up. but while I had the system open I figured I would drill out the orifice in the pressure line.

I filled it full of fluid and tried to turn it and nothing jacked it up cranked the wheel back and forth felt like the truck wasn't running. disconnected my ram and felt a little better. looked at the ram and it was moving when there was some resistance on the steering wheel but it moved pretty slow. I looked in the pump and there is very little fluid moving around. almost like its just heating and moving to the top and cooling and going falling to the bottom.

i found that the orifice was factory at a 1/16" so after reading this powersteering
i decided to go in little steps so i started with a touch over an 1/8" bit only because my 1/8" bit was super dull and didn't want to sharpen it.

i was thinking it might just be air bound so i decided to keep cranking it lock to lock. after about 5 mins of that and no change i decided to call it quits. my question is does any have any experience with doing this or does anyone know of other mods? i believe i drilled the orifice to big due to it worked fine before i hooked up the ram and drilled out the orifice still should work fine now if i went with a factory size orifice right??

any input or knowledge with this would be very helpful was also thinking of going with a stock hyroboost pump but if i don't have to spend the money im not going to.
sorry for being long winded but this is going to drive me crazy

See less See more
#4 ·
Take a long allen wrench or screwdriver or something and stick it in your pressure fitting, push it in and out against the relief valve. Does the valve move nice and smooth and spring back good?

You didn't disassemble your pump at all, did you? is the pump a reman part store unit, old factory, or what?

#5 · (Edited)
when I had the orifice out I did push in in and out with my finger it did seam to move pretty freely and no I just took the orifice out drilled it cleaned it and put it back in. im almost temped to just spend the 160 on a psc pump and reuse my reservoir

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.