Pirate 4x4 banner

Crossmember Fab ?

977 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Country69 
#1 · (Edited)
Making a removable engine crossmember for my 83 dodge w150. When I did the ton swap the high steer ended up to close to the existing one.

I going to maintain the upper portions where the engine mounts currently sit. All I'm doing is replacing the portion spanning from the bottom of the engine mounts under the oil pan.

Question? How far from the bottom of the pan should I go? I'd like it to be about 1/2" but don't know if that is to close. I don't see there being that much movement in the rubber mounts.

This was in newbie and I know I missed Tuesday. :D

#4 ·
You just reminded me that my oil pan is rubbing too:(
It was about 1/4" with new Energy suspension poly mounts. Now it touches, but it ain't leakin' yet!

I think 1/2" should be safe and also clear your steering.

#5 ·
Your also fighting against the frame flexing as well..Get the truck twisted up and it may touch.

The dodge mounts tear easy..So account for that..I had a tired out 318 in my last rig and i replaced the mounts a few times..

#6 ·
Thanks angryblack,
I'm concerned about the rubber after seeing "jopickens" post his mounts. Definitely on my to-do list to replace them.
Just need to get her dialed as far as rough ins go.
Got the time off till new years and hope to get a lot of loose ends buttoned up.
1/2" to 3/4" is as far as I hope to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.