Pirate 4x4 banner

Fabbed Hydro tanks

6K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  uninformed 
#1 · (Edited)
Anybody have any pics of tanks that they have fabbed up. Specifically what tank filler did you use and what did you do for a vent, id like a spill proof vent.On top of that im interested in baffling the tank properly.

Im looking for ideas when i get back home to fabricate a new tank.. Right now i have a tank i made years ago that was mounted vertically in my dodge. For the chevy i changed the orientation to horizontal so i could mount it in front of my engine.. It holds about a gallon of fluid and i dont want to change that..Ive found with the way i ride its just enough to not need a cooler.

I dont have any feed issues to my pump either and dont want any.. My issues are that ive found now( possibly due to the baffling i put in the tank was designed around a vertical mount position:homer:) are lots of sloshing and causing the fluid to spill from the fill cap. I spend a lot more time in this truck off camber and leaks bother me.I also need to relocate the tank as the feed hose puts the hose too close to the PS pump pulley..The line is super short and sized right but as you can see in the pic its close.In the pic up above the tranny X member wasnt done so the pulley is tilted away from the fitting.

Right now im looking at fuel cell filler caps.

And using a roll over valve

I have room on my drivers inner fender to make a long skinny one gallon tank. I planned on welding a new an fitting on my pumps res housing pointing towards the tank and making the feed fitting at the lowest most forward and lowest point. Building the baffles in the tank to help keep oil at the outlet even in 70-80* angles and not puking from the filler nor the vent.

Has anybody fabricated a trap door system like road racing high end engine oil pans have?

Or am i overthinking this and build a simple tank.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any pics but the last one I built I used a bunch of baffles shaped like this /\/\ with holes drilled in them (for the air bubbles to rise) inside. I used a regular automotive remote oil filter, and I built the tank in a manner that gravity would keep the outlet fed in 3 angles, and I pointed the returns so they would push fluid in the feed in the other angle. I use a radiator cap for the filler/vent with a low pressure cap. It doesn't leak during rollovers, and the low pressure internally helps keep the pumps fed.

#9 ·
here is mine, it has three chambers for slosh with 1/4" pass throughs on the bottom , a moroso filler, a baffle under the filler, the return comes in under the baffle, the feed is centered l/r-ft/r, the vent will run to a remote catch.

Attachments

#15 ·
Yep with a large enough tank ive never needed to run a cooler..Even with cheap fluid..I may run a cooler in the future though..Right now with the tank and my air tank in the rads location it eats up all the room in front of the engine and grill.

#13 ·
Good to see that I am not the only one that needs more fluid. I will post up when I get started with my tank. It will be an ammo can version too

#16 · (Edited)

I use a standard cam lock fitting and cap with breather hose going to a catch can. Easy to fill and rubber gasketed so no leaks and no threads to worry about.

Here you can see the catch cans which are old fire extinguishers with added ports and breather tubes. A Donaldson TRAP breather filter attaches to the catch can breather port.

#19 · (Edited)
Cam locks look perfect but im not sure i will have the room.. I want long and thin/skinny.. A flush almost flush cap would be best..It looks like i have room to mount the tank on the drivers side inner fender from the rad support on back towards the hood hinge..I could go far down as the lip of the fender and free up the room in front of the engine..This is the only pic i have right now but i should be able to get a 2 gallon tank in there have enough room to install a fan cooler there as well and a return filter.

There is quite a few good ideas here for me..And has shown me that i really need to get me a spool gun.

And the hydro dynamic buggy is tits..

#24 ·
The catch can will feed back into the res. by thermal expansion of the air and liquid so it never overfills. I think I would have to be upsidedown for a long time to get it to leak out the breather which has its own oil stopping mesh. Besides that the catch has a ball valve to lock it off on a roll where it doesn't get back on the tires soon enough.
The tank is a dual chamber tank to keep air away from the pickup. A dry sump tank for engine oil is a very good design on a smaller scale. But I need much more capacity so I built it different.

#25 ·
Started working on my ammo can reservoir.

#27 ·
Any idea helps brother.Id like to build a new tank.It doesnt have to be in the direction i vision in my head..

I was thinking of replacing the fill spout on mine and relocate it..So im still up in the air as to what to do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.