Pirate 4x4 banner

strongest 9" locker

6K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  jbcustoms 
#1 ·
I've done a lot of searching on Google and here. What is the strongest 9" locker out there other than a spool. 35 spline, front high pinion application.

#3 ·
x2.... for what you want, nothing better...

#4 ·
From what I've seen from you I don't think you want a locker. I will say I've heard the Grizzly locker is stronger than a Detroit. Other than that there is a high dollar version of a Detroit that should be the absolute strongest thing next to a spool. I don't know much info about it, but DSI has one in his Trent Fab buggy.

#18 ·
I run a 14 in the back too. Not worried about the ARB.

I've used CNC in my last two cars. I don't know of another option. The quality is okay. I will say if something does go wrong, the service is terrible.

#20 ·
Run spools front and rear on both my trail rig and ultra 4 buggy.

I wouldn't do anything else for a trail rig. I really like it and have had no issues at all with my ultra 4 car. After Koh IM going to try a Yukon grizzly race version in the front. Some of the tighter W.E. Rock dirt riot races IM thinking it might handle better. I would prefer to run spool front and selectable rear but I don't trust 14b air lockers and the Yukon zip is no avlb yet.

#21 ·
lxh0318:15143208 said:
[

DSI's has broke twice, I ran mine most the season except KOH where I felt like the safety of a spool not breaking was worth giving up the locker gains. They really aren't any more than an ARB and they come from Gearworks.
Actually TJ only broke the locker once. The next time he broke the short side inner axle inside the locker. But the locker is still good to go.

It is out and forsale though. We went double spools in the gearworks 10s.

#24 ·
lxh0318:15145392 said:
My bad, thought that was what had broke in Texas too. Either way I don't think those things are the cure all for 9" lockers, I do think they are good for races with little to no rocks.

I figured it was the locker too. Didn't know it was the axle until just before thanksgiving. We already had a spool lined up so we swapped it. But then again the ring gear bolts were also loose in the gearworks 3rd.....

#29 ·
Dynatrac as a newbie is funny!

I never thought of it that way. But I can see how your right.

That said, I would wager that a built 9in with a spool is stronger than a 60 with a spool. 10.5 and 14b is a different story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.