Pirate 4x4 banner

~my cj5 needs some love~

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Herrmannator 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I just spent like 30 minutes typing a post and I somehow got logged out. But that's alright because It was way too long anyway. Well marry christmas everyone! My first post on christmas day. Lol. anyway I just bought a 1975 cj5 for $1450 and put like $150 into the front drum brakes (dumb brakes) and horn wiring to try and get it street legal, but then I realized that the only reason I bought a jeep was to have fun with it and take it off road! SO, with some help form this wonderful community of experienced rock crawlers, I'd love to start transforming this pos cj5 into a sweet rig. My goal is to have some 40's on it by the end of January... I just need some help from you guys. Like what's the best way to go about beefing this thing up? You've all done it and I've drooled over all your jeeps for the past 6 months or so, but I don't know where to get started!? Should I try and find some full size axles to swap in or can I just put on some 2" wheel spacers and cut the fenders and wheel wells for better clearance and throw on the big tires or what? The jeep has a 4" lift I believe right now.. so I don't know if hacking the fenders and wheel wells will do the trick or not. In the long run I'd love to stretch the wheel base to like 100in, but for now I just need something to tear up the hills in. I'm leaving out of the country for 2 years in 3 months so I really want to get a good start on this thing before I leave. Anyway, I'll post a link to some pics of it if I can't load some on so check it out and any input will be greatly appreciated! I know it's a huge project to get it from where it is now to what I'd like it to look like, but we all have to start somewhere :) thanks! And happy holidays!

See less See more
#5 ·
Herrmannator;15143525. My goal is to have some 40's on it by the end of January...7 or can I just put on some 2" wheel spacers and cut the fenders and wheel wells for better clearance and throw on the big tires or what? [IMG said:
http://img.bonnint.net/c/2626/262684/26268448.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1[/IMG]

This is the best part of your plan.I would start there.

#6 ·
Awesome thanks for the replies you guys! I'm super stoked that people replied! Great to hear your input :) but anyway, yeah sorry if I sound like mad retarded in my posts. Sometimes I just type away and nothing makes sense after I'm done. But I'm glad to have some direction now, so next will be to order some 2" spacers and start searching the classifieds for some big ol tires! By the way, anyone know where I can get a tow bar for the front? And maybe a little instruction on how to use it? (do i just slip it into neutral and go?) The previous owner took the bar and wench off because he had just bought them :( if anyone has a link to a cheap tow bar I can order then I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to just make one myself, but all i've got is the $90 welder from harbor freight :shaking: and no way am I trusting those welds to pull a jeep behind my truck! Well anyway, have a good one you guys. Thanks!!

#7 ·
if you need a tow bar just go to harbor freight and buy this
Tow Bar - Adjustable Tow Bar w/ 5000 Lb. Capacity
you can't build it for $70
My suggestion is to go wheel that Jeep and see how it does, let the Jeep tell you what it needs,
Hacking up what looks like a pretty nice Jeep to throw 40's on it (especially on the stock axles) is dumb, don't do anything unless you have been out wheeling, stuck and broken a few times and you know what you need to do....

#8 ·
I know how you feel. I am in the same boat as you. I am also fixing to start work on a 75 CJ5. I have a set of D44s that I am throwing under it and im gunna stretch the wheelbase also. I am shooting for 100"s as well, but not sure where I will end up after I finish the install. Wish I could get some pictures up, but being deployed sucks. My project will start right after I get home.

#10 ·
Haha well... I'd love to see some pics when you get back! I've been searching craigslist and I've found some pretty cheap 33's and I'm wondering if It will make that much of a difference if I throw those on? Any thoughts? Also, the tire size is 33x12.50R15 and my current tires are 31x11.50R15..... does that number in the middle make that much of a difference?? I think that's the width of the tire eh? I'm not sure if the tire is going to fit on the rim or not. Thanks~

#11 ·
that's about the nicest cj5 hard top and doors I've ever seen.

I'm not regular enough on here anymore to know but I would have been able to guess who this was about 11years ago. pretty funny :D

Believable
Nice execution by putting it here and not in a jeep forum..
Reads in such a way that people would think you were serious but at the same time, they're thinking there's no way you can be serious.
Had you joined with that name a few months back and made a few "serious" posts, then did this I wouldn't have suspected it :D

#12 ·
Haha I'm just seeing what people think of my jeep. If you knew me you'd know that most everything I'm posting is sarcastic. Haha just trying to get out here and gather some different ideas. So don't make fun of me!!!! :mad3: Lol. but do you know someone in sacramento named herrmann or something? I've got some family there. Lots and lots of family. But the odds of you knowing them are like zero. Anyway. Have a good day. :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.