I bought an EVO2 from Bent Fabrications... now what?! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 87218
I bought an EVO2 from Bent Fabrications... now what?!

I havenít posted a build in a while... So, I guess itís about time to share some ideas again.

Iíd like to introduce the redesigned EVO2 series Chassis from Bent Fabrications.
This is not going to be another thread where a builder shows you a bunch of the latest hi tech unobtainium parts you canít afford in an effort to make a buggy like no one has ever seen before.. Instead, Iím going to take you through the process of us building our production EVO2 chassis and options that are available from us as well as some REAL TECH on the details of how to get your chassis finished up and drivable after you receive it. The pics wonít necessarily be all from the same chassis. In an effort to answer questions and show alternate ideas and methods, some posts will be from customer rigs in progress. So if you've been looking for a great chassis to build at home, stay tuned... one of these could be perfect for you!

Before diving into the build of one of these, I'll start out with a basic introduction to the chassis line. This is not a chassis "kit" that you put the chassis together at home, it comes to you fully welded at the prices below.

Pictured is a base model EVO2 Chassis that starts out at $2800. With tons of room in the bed for your stuff, it's a great revision to the original concept.

The more popular model is the EVO2 EX starting at $2950. Dimensionally the same length as the EVO2 above, it has a reshaped "extended cab" area designed in. Whether your just looking for some room to keep the cooler within reach on those long trail rides, need a little extra room for the belly, or trying to package all the stuff associated with endurance style racing, I think you'll find the extra room inside helpfull.

If your still needing more room.. how about the EVO4? Starting at $3200, This Chassis has a 16" stretch added to the EX model and is going to have a 130"+ Wheel Base geared toward 40" and bigger tires... Unlike other 4 seat chassis out there, this one is designed to use a full 48" wide rear bench that could seat three adults in the back and still have some bed space for all your junk! If your looking to build something that will haul the WHOLE FAMILY and your camping gear, or if you just want to load up a crew of 5 and still have enough room for a cooler big enough to keep all of them from getting thirsty... this is going to be the "crew cab" style chassis you've been waiting for.

You can find more info about specific chassis options, promotions, and pricing in this thread over in the vendors section. EVO2 by Bent Fabrications . I will get to these things in this thread, but we need to keep questions about availability and ordering over there to keep this about building it once you have it.

-Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Want to see what's going on in the shop?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bent Fabrications is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 87218
Iíll start off with a little history for those of you new enough on here not to know who we are.

A few years ago, the idea to develop a truck style chassis was brought to me and we explored the idea of a design that would be geared toward the everyday man in the woods. We came up with a simple chassis that had some basic dimensions from a Toyota truck with the idea that you would be able to take a beat down solid axle Toyota and reuse most of the components from the truck to build a much more capable buggy on a beer budget. The idea was solid and the design was descent. We called it the Evolution GP.

You can do a little background reading if you like by checking out these threads:
"New Truck Chassis by Bent Fabrications"
how it was named..

You can check out our first race version of the chassis here... keep in mind this was back in 2009.

Unfortunately, at the time the idea came about, I was covered up with larger projects in the shop and the proper time was never set aside to truly develop the idea as far as I had envisioned. In my mind, this was something that would be priced and advertised as an entry level chassis that could literally ďevolveĒ all the way to a full blown race ready rig. I was gearing it toward the Toyota crowd, but the idea was much larger than that. After stepping away from the offroad crowd for a few years, I decided that this was still an idea I wanted to revisit. I know we all think we are Ultra4 wannabeísÖ but the reality is that for every one racer posting up cools pics of their stuff on here, there are 1000ís of guyís in the woods every weekend with a beer budget and a beat down rig. If your one of those guys in the woods every weekend.. stick around, I think youíll like what we are doing.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 121037
I'll be sticking around for this, glad to see you back Tim, I really enjoyed all your other build threads.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 87218
On with more pictures.. Day one.

Frame rails are made from 2x3" 11 gage tubing and set up in fixtures to hold everything in place.

Each piece of the chassis is pre cut from 1.75"x.120" DOM, cleaned and marked for bending.

The first piece put on the frame rails is the chosen front option. This is the CJ front hoop and will allow the use of a full width CJ front grill with very minor trimming at the bottom for the frame rails.

The bottom of the chassis usually takes a pretty good beating, So we bend the outer rub rails out of 2"x.136" wall tubing to beef it up. We've been doing this for a long time with great success, but if you want it even stronger we can sleeve it with some more .120 wall tubing for a total wall thickness of over a quarter inch. Once these are bent out, they lay in the jig and the frame connectors are made of the same 2"x.136" tubing.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 87218
Once bent and cut, the rub rails simply lay in the jigs.

Working our way from front to back on the chassis, the shock hoops are put on.

Then the A pillar and B pillars are carefully measured out and placed. As well as the arm bars cut to fit.

An added feature found on all of these chassis's is how we set the bottom of the A and B pillars. By stepping the tubing back on the rub rail, the bottom of the body panel can be fitted to the top of the rub rail. This keeps you from shredding the panels up on the first trip out as you slide along the rub rail. You can see the sleeve in the rub rail in this pic also.

You'll notice from this point, we don't use many fixtures. Something that you just don't notice as much in the pics as you do in person is how much shape this chassis has. It is not a square flat sided basic chassis. It has style and form to it that makes it stand out when seen in person. I feel like there is an artform to working with tubing that I just don't want to see get lost in the production process. This is why all these chassis's will come welded up from us.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 87218
Here is a picture of a different chassis at the same stage with the standard front end. The rear bed has been bent out and fitted in this pic, which is typically the point that we stop at on day 1

Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 162376
Subscribed, I'm liking this...
Shooter06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
GREAT to see you posting again.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
no where new

Member # 71385
Looking forward to the pictures and progress. Here is a picture of my EVO4, coming to a slow down waiting for parts.

I would like to see what options you have come up with for bumpers to match the style of the evo series.
Attached Images

shadowgamesxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
Another EVO4 owner. I'm not much past the part collecting phase.

Heres the build so far. Magnacharged LM7, TH400, NP205 (going to mate a ORD Magnum box to it), rocks and 47" LTB's

Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 91331
Man, that's a big bench in the back of the 4! What's the width on these babies?

TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Cool stuff Tim, always enjoyed following your projects.

Gonna be out at KOH this year?

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 79221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
IIRC, my EVO2 EX chassis is 54"

So, about 50.5" ID.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]970-420-4198[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Ruffstuff Racing Sponsored

[/CENTER]
AddictedOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
no where new

Member # 71385
I put a 3rd row (48" wide) bench seat from a suburban. It was for mock up to give me something to work with.
shadowgamesxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 79221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgamesxj View Post
I put a 3rd row (48" wide) bench seat from a suburban. It was for mock up to give me something to work with.
Mine will hopefully be a 4 seater as well. Just a really tight 4 seater. I plan to run a 36" rear PRP bench in mine. I slapped a rear Jeep seat in it to see if it would work and I am betting I can pull it off.

I just couldn't live with a 126" wheelbase like you rockwell guys.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]970-420-4198[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Ruffstuff Racing Sponsored

[/CENTER]
AddictedOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
I just couldn't live with a 126" wheelbase like you rockwell guys.
Pssshh.....126" is small. I will be 130+

Last edited by redranger4.0; 01-07-2013 at 03:00 AM.
redranger4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 87218
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
IIRC, my EVO2 EX chassis is 54"

So, about 50.5" ID.
The A-pillar is 54" outside which allows most of the aftermarket hoods to work. I know the Twisted Customs stuff works great... though my front ends are a little shorter than their stuff, as the truck chassis has more of a cab foreword design than most of the buggies out there. The B-pillar is 56" wide. This not only gives the chassis a little shape and increases visibility around the A pillars but more importantly gives you some room to be comfortable and not have to mount your seat as close to the side of the buggy for better protection in a roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
Gonna be out at KOH this year?
Planning on leaving out of here on the 1st

Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 87218
On day two the buggy takes shape. First we connect the A-pillar to the shock hoops to tie all the belt line together, then add the supports at the rear of the bed.

Next the upper B-pillar is measured out and set in place. Now, up to this point, there are absolutely no differences between the EVO2 and the EX model. This is something to think about when deciding which chassis might be right for you. There is no difference in length. The change is simply in the upper tubework to make one have more space in the bed / less in the cab..ie the EVO2. The other, the EVO2 EX, has an "extended cab" added into the bed along with a reshaped lower section that connects the rub rail to the belt line. This is going to allow you to reshape the interior to give you 14" more room inside behind the seat on the EX model. Keep in mind though. We did not add 14" to the chassis, we borrowed the space from the bed area.

The picture below is the A-pillar bent out to be an EVO2 with the back roof bar in place. You can see the sleeve in the tube for adding the down tube to the bed in the next pic.

Another shot from the side shows the windshield bar added in and the bars that connect the rub rails to the belt line to finish up the chassis in bare form. Something to note is that the chassis shown has the rear "tube bed" option in lue of full length frame rails. It also has a "bent brow bar" option on the windshield vs the standard straight bar.

Something to notice while we are talking about the EVO2.. Though the lower tube that connects the rub rail to the belt line isn't shaped exactly like the one on the EX model, you could easily still shape out the interior of this chassis to gain additional room behind the seat. The center of these bare chassis's are completely open for you to complete to your needs. Not putting any center or supports in these chassis's are part of how I can sell them at a more affordable price. It also make the chassis able to accomodate almost anything you would want to do with it as far as drive trane goes. Your only going to be locked in by your lack of creativity.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 87218
Pictures of the C-pillars and down tubes to the bed on the EX model.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 87218
Something to note and point out about the design of the chassis. You can see that when the last tube is put in to connect the rub rail to the belt line, the bends are matched up to the angles in the frame rails. This not only lines things up to make sheet metal turn out nice if you choose to panel it out as an extended cab, but also gains you clearance to keep your rockers off the rocks before the tire lifts the chassis. Also, this style of finishing out the chassis is one of the improvements we've made to make the chassis more versatile. Before, we always turned the rub rail back to the frame. By turning it up to the belt line, you open this area up for shocks to be placed there if you were to set them up on the links for more rear travel... more on this subject later.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 107389
did i miss what the wheel base was going to?
diver14_98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Fabrications View Post
Planning on leaving out of here on the 1st
Cool. See ya at the fire pit!

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 87218
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver14_98 View Post
did i miss what the wheel base was going to?
It's a good topic as I think things are changing from what we all use to run.

On the EVO2 and EX models, WB is going to range from 106"-120"+ pending on what your doing with the chassis and what tire your running. The standard EVO2 can be modified to run shorter, but at the cost of more overhang in the rear. I'd say most people running a 40" tire are going to end up between 110-115". For me, I feel you need 115"+ to keep a rig stable at speed in the rough, where the common 100" use to be the magic number when all we did was crawl. However, as the ledges keep getting bigger, hills steeper, speeds increasing even in the woods.. 110-112" is starting to really shine especially when you can turn at least 50 degrees. The one here in the shop I'm building is set at 114"

On the more popular EX model, adding the extended cab area behind the cab makes the WB a little longer than most of the "cars" as it pushes the rear axle back a little... Though the chassis is only 155" long and features 48"+ of usable bed space even on the EX model that has 14" behind the seat. Some of you are probably looking at this chassis thinking it must be huge, but really it's a nice size package that isn't as big as you'd think when seen in person while still having tons of room inside. If you have a buggy now, I'd encourage you to go measure that bad boy up. You may be surprised when you compare the measurements. Then imagine having 4 foot of usable bed in that space...

-Tim

Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 30582
All I can say Tim is AWESOME CHASSIS!!! Love the styling!!

I just wish you would have had this out two years ago when I started my new project. I have more in just the cost of materials in my chassis/skins than what your chassis is priced at. I would have bought this in a hearbeat had it been available at the time and I'd be driving it by now instead of only being half done.

Keep up the great work!

My Turbo Thread:
xtremexj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 27286
Send a message via AIM to toyotanuts
hurry up to the link set up. that's where we will be this weekend.
toyotanuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in