fuel cell foam alternative ? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 41708
Wayne's system takes ALL of the worry out of it. The weekend after I put Wayne's baffles in my Ultra4, the foam came apart in my Jeep....taking out the 1 month old fuel pump.

'56 CJ6 - 4.3, 904, D300 w4:1, 60/70, 5.38's, 35spline chromo, 42" IROKS....family crawler

'71 Chevy 4x4, built 502, 1 tons and 40's

G-Man Racing #213 - LQ9, 400, 4sp Atlas, 70/14B, 5.13's 39 BFG's....2013 LCQ we are going to give it all we have!!!
MY56CJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
bump this from the grave

about to re do my fuel system and dont want to run foam as fuel around my parts eats it in about 6 months time. looking for feed back on the old oil bottles and how thats holding up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 138878
Have you looked into Holley hydromat yet?

https://youtu.be/yfE1v65fNZI

https://youtu.be/4rG97UuVgmQ
swampers1226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 05:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
looking for feed back on the old oil bottles and how thats holding up
Pick up an oil bottle, note the recycling number on the bottom, use Google to figure out what type of plastic that number corresponds to and how well that plastic tolerates whatever fuel you'll be putting in the fuel cell, there's your answer.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 53677
I will mimic the question already asked a few years ago

Unless you have a sanctioning body checking, why run baffling?

IG: @partiallycommittedracing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slravene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by slravene View Post

as on right now im not racing so its not an issue but have been looking at a few events and some of them call for it so just thinking ahead in case i run into it.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by slravene View Post

Trail rig? Just let the fluid hammer slam back and forth in your cell.

Going fast with 30 or 40 gallons, or more? Put baffles in it to keep the fluid hammer controlled.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 26098
Send a message via Yahoo to jeaton
I've been running 32 oz Gatorade bottles in my 22 gallon cell for 3 years. I pulled the plate off and squeezed them and they are still rigid. It dose take A LOT of them but I drink a few everyday so to me it was a free upgrade.

Thanks to my sponsors

jeaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
Trail rig? Just let the fluid hammer slam back and forth in your cell.

Going fast with 30 or 40 gallons, or more? Put baffles in it to keep the fluid hammer controlled.
Pretty much where I was going with that

I have talked to a bunch of guys that are for some reason worried about not having some sort of baffling (foam, or trap doors, or plastic, or whatever) in their tanks when they are just trail riding. I haven't ever run anything in any of my tanks and never had a single issue out of it. But if its required by something you are racing in...then you are pretty well shoehorned into needing something; and at that point $200 - $300 for the purpose built baffling is a drop in the bucket.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaton View Post
I've been running 32 oz Gatorade bottles in my 22 gallon cell for 3 years. I pulled the plate off and squeezed them and they are still rigid. It dose take A LOT of them but I drink a few everyday so to me it was a free upgrade.
Probably the best tech on Pirate since I found out you can make catch cans from water bottles

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Probably the best tech on Pirate since I found out you can make catch cans from water bottles
well guess in not taking my bottles back this weekend and will have to go through them and see what i have as know there are lots of Gatorade bottles in them bags im also running the water bottle catch cans, but i got fancy and used bulk head AN fittings

Last edited by snowracer; 06-21-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 11684
I am still running the original foam in a cell I bought in 2005.
Am i just lucky? Or is our fuel down here better/different?

I do have a steel basket type thing around the pickup about the the size of a beer can chopped in half to stop the foam trying to migrate to the pump. Not sure how much that would help with longevity though...
wendleburger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #38 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
i have had a few customers add alltech baffles after their AL tank split and from what they say it cured the issue. now there a lot of factors that could cause the tank split but fluid hammer is a very plausible reason. tank construction and mount also plays a large part.

i know the oil bottle trick is used in the sandrail crowd quite a bit.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
i have had a few customers add alltech baffles after their AL tank split and from what they say it cured the issue. now there a lot of factors that could cause the tank split but fluid hammer is a very plausible reason. tank construction and mount also plays a large part.

i know the oil bottle trick is used in the sandrail crowd quite a bit.
I'm with you, I wholeheartedly agree that mount setup plays a MASSIVE role in tank strength. If a tank is captured on all sides and really strapped in (think like an artec style mount) it is going to be nearly infinitely stronger than one that is just bolted in with a few 3/8 bolts on some weld bungs.

I am part of the no baffle, 15 gallon alum tank crowd...but mine is captured in all planes and its not going anywhere. I have never had a single issue out of it. I told myself that if I did, I would do the oil bottle trick... but with the alltech baffles being cheap enough for that small amount, will probably just buy those if I need them honestly.

Last edited by slravene; 06-22-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in