Saginaw steering box questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2001, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3723
Saginaw steering box questions

Spent the day kicking around in the junkyard.

Was looking at hydroboost stuff, but was also noticing how there are saginaw PS boxes in damn near everything out there....

With that, I was wondering if there was realistically anything different between them.. Do car ones have different valving (amount of power assist) than trucks, do Caddys have different valving then Chevy's? Does one have more benefits than another? Turning ratios are different I assume, but what in the gearbox controls this?

Along with that, I was wondering if anyone had a source for how to tear one of these things down, some exploded diagrams, part #'s etc....

thanx

themaddhatter
Entropy "After a solid fifteen minutes of passing what felt like multiple babies out my purple starfish, it was over....When I stood up and looked back at my handy work I was pleasantly surprised to find nearly all the water in the toilet completely displaced by what was now a literal MOUND of crap"
themaddhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5472
I know some mount on the inside of the frame and some on the outside. The worm gear is the factor on the ratio but which has the tightest ratio good question. Some have 3 mounting holes and some have 4. thats about all I know.
Old 11-11-2001, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3723
yeah, I noticed the Caddy ones had 3 bolts.

Chevy and Dodge mount outborn gearboxes on trucks.
Entropy "After a solid fifteen minutes of passing what felt like multiple babies out my purple starfish, it was over....When I stood up and looked back at my handy work I was pleasantly surprised to find nearly all the water in the toilet completely displaced by what was now a literal MOUND of crap"
themaddhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2001, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team RedNeck

Member # 3941
Send a message via AIM to TheLakeRat
Some mount outside the frame but most mount inside the frame. There are long vertions of both (chevy vans, ford bronco's, IH scouts). Some are large bore some are small. Some are 6 turn (ford EB's) some are a 3.25 turn variable ratio, some are 4.25 turn non-variable ratio. Some do have different springs in the valving area but it only defines the amount of force required to engage the assist, not how much actual asit that the box puts out.(Caddy vs. Chevy P/U). And there are at least 7 different bolt configurations that I can think of off the top of my head.

What you need to find is a large bore box (compare the size of the end caps) that will bolt into the stock location that you have. Make sure that is takes the same fittings that your hoses are (flare or O-ring) and also make sure that the steering shaft splines are the same. Once you've done that count the rotations. If it is a 3.25 turn then you just found a AGR super box 2. If it is a 4.25 turn then It's a super box 1. And you just saved yourself a Sheet load of money.

Next thing you do is to go to my web site and do the pressure (not the Volume mods) to your pump and you just made a AGR super pump and saved yourself even more money.

Your welcome.
1811 W. Beauregard Ave.
San Angelo, TX. 76901

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Redneck is not a style, fashion, or something that occurs due to location Ė Itís way of life. You canít be one - either You Are or You Arenít. I AM.~SilverZuk
TheLakeRat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2001, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1478
Matt,

Do you have any reference as to what vehicles would have 3.25 variable ratio boxes? (particularly those with 4 mounting holes)
Do you know what ratio a GW has?

And does anyone have a write-up/reference on rebuilding a box?

thanks for the info on the pump mods.

Charly
Old 11-12-2001, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Charly,
A GW has a variable ratio box. They are 13(fast)/16(slow):1 while a CJ box is 17.5:1. I don't know what either equates to in turns but would guess that the GW is the 3.25.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2001, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 39
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each box (4.25 vs 3.25)? I spent lots of time looking for my 4.25 turn box. I must have looked at over 50 3.25 turn boxes before I found my 4.25 box.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4463
Anyone know any applications for a big bore box that will bolt up to the YJ style mount (four bolt), metric o-rings preffered.

My TJ box is leaking AGAIN (POS), and I want to build a ram assist. Might as well rebuild a big bore box (bigger seals too?)and use that with the ram.

Thanks,
Phil
1TONTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in