ORI Break in time? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63299
ORI Break in time?

what is a reasonable amount of time to consider a set of ORI STX struts "broken in"? I have had mine on my rig for about a year, maybe 5-6 weekend long trips on them. I understand that the seals need to break in and it takes some time, but what is a reasonable amount of time for this to happen?

i only ask because I have tried tuning them over and over and cant get them to loosen up any. I weigh in at a meager 165lbs, but even jumping up and down on my sliders just barely causes any movement in the ORI's. it is like jumping on a wagon!

they are mounted on my FJ40. it is on 1 tons with 39's and a lot of tube. i figure somewhere around 3000 lbs so it isn't exactly light, but not really all that heavy. I am running 200 in the bottom and 350 up top right now. it doesn't seem to ride any different than when i had 90 in bottom and 200 up top.

what kind of pressure are you guys running (just so i have an idea). I realize every rig is different im just trying to get a ballpark idea of where to start. I am PM'ing Blacksheep and have a note in to ORI for pointers. I have also been reading a few threads and tried a few things, just wondering where you guys suggest starting.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 63299
side note, the PSI in the struts was set with it sitting on the ground. I have a 2 post lift and can set them sitting on it, i was just trying one of the other suggestions that someone put out there earlier.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 63299
this is my setup. only differences is a little more sheet metal and now red labels and spyderlock wheels

Last edited by Spacecwboy; 04-07-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Spacecwboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ori-strut.html

Quote:
For future searches, you can fill the uppers any way you like. You can put about any amount above 50 or 75 in the lowers you want as long as there is nitro in there. I run mine at 80 with 7" of shaft out.
Once the lowers are charged at full bump (.6" of shaft showing), you can charge the uppers. Because I have a dual fill, I put one on each upper, and start turning the regulator pressure up until it is at ride height. I used to to the, "jack up past ride height" thing, but have abandoned that since I have a dual fill. As Stu mentioned, with a single filling device, if you go from full bump one corner at a time, you will shove 350 psi lifting both sides up with one strut, move to the other side and put 200 in it and its monster truck tall. If you have an idea of what you ride height upper pressure is, you can set your regulator to that, and lift until it is there and move to the other side, then fine tune from there. I'm still of the opinion that with a single fill point, you should jack up to ride height -ish and put the amount in it that lifts it off the jack slightly and fine tune from there, less lifting by hand while filling, etc.

With a dual fill device, you can apply pressure equally to both upper chambers and lift the vehicle up evenly by turning the regulator in and lifting slightly to fight seal stiction until you're at ride height. Then if you're too tall, shut the bottle valve off and take it out of the equation and bounce on the chassis until it is settled where it is going to be. At that point decide whether to use the bleeder on the fill device to burp some off and bounce on it to settle it to its now lower height, or fill a little more if it needed some more height.

Clear as mud?

Glad Mark was able to help, sorry I didn't make it in here sooner.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 63299
yeah i have been spending time reading that thread. it was the first one that i started with. it is more centered around fixing his valves. mine is more the lack of movement of the strut
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
Get your pressures dialed in and they will move....do you have any suspension links binding?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 63299
not that i am aware of. it flexes fine once im in the rocks, but it will beat you to death on the trip there
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 963
On mine I'm running the lower 105 on the front and 100 on the rears with 6" of chrome on 14"ers.
I feel the rear is still a little stiff. (may drop to 95) I think the front is about right.
I have 5 crawling trips on mine and one 65 mile desert race. Mine still stick.
Spec's: 4 seat buggy,22r,toyota axles on 39's.

Last edited by overeasy; 04-08-2013 at 07:09 AM.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in