Procomp Xtreme MT2 reviews? Thoughts? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Just put a set of 40s on my truck and I can attest to the fact that they're better than an old-style Goodyear MTR in the same size.

With that said, they're not great in sticky mud. They cake up and probably require more horsepower than I have to clear them out.

However in the sand and rocks, they do excellent. It sounds like others may have some issues with them getting cut on sharp rocks but I haven't had that issue yet - didn't even have any chunking. They performed so much better on the rocks than my MTRs did that they hardly ever spin. The compound is quite soft, so I could see issues with cutting if they weren't being driven on responsibly.

I have a rock wall climb video of each tire (same exact line) that would show the difference, but I'm at work right now and Facebook is blocked so I'll try and get it later this weekend.
Nice that's exactly the input I wanted. I loved my OG mtrs for what used my rig for.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 653578
Tire choice

I am also looking at 37 having a hard time between procomp and any opinions on creepy crawler or trepador some d/d but mostly wheeling in the Great Lakes area will be going to mob in aprial have 35 mtrs now
Scooter65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 04:59 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 51266
Quote:
Just put a set of 40s on my truck and I can attest to the fact that they're better than an old-style Goodyear MTR in the same size.

With that said, they're not great in sticky mud. They cake up and probably require more horsepower than I have to clear them out.

However in the sand and rocks, they do excellent. It sounds like others may have some issues with them getting cut on sharp rocks but I haven't had that issue yet - didn't even have any chunking. They performed so much better on the rocks than my MTRs did that they hardly ever spin. The compound is quite soft, so I could see issues with cutting if they weren't being driven on responsibly.

I have a rock wall climb video of each tire (same exact line) that would show the difference, but I'm at work right now and Facebook is blocked so I'll try and get it later this weekend.
Great feedback...... Waiting for video links.....

I think those who really want/need a mud tire will be looking at the Swamper SX ll thread.....
High Country Renegades
Symon623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #79 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Dammit, I forgot to snag the Facebook video links over the weekend.

Keep bugging me and I'll get them :P

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #80 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
When Pro Comp came out with this 40" tire, they gave away countless free sets as sponsor (which is mighty cool of them ).

But unlike most in this thread, my experience with seeing these on the trail (rocks like JV, Ridgecrest, Sand Hollow, Arizona) has been less than impressive. Two buggies that I frequently wheel with switched to these after being given free/discount sets from 4Wheel Parts.

One of the guys used to run IROKS and switched to the 40" extremes, and he can no longer make waterfalls that he used to walk up with IROKS. He has also suffered 2 sidewall punctures where I had never seen any in the 3 years before that.

Another member of my club got a set on his buggy and also seems to struggle more on obstacles than he did before, and also recently experience a bad sidewall blowout. Seems like even at 4 PSI, they hook no better than your average MT radial street tire. He plans on switching.

Some pics, but I will not give out names because they were free / discounted tires after all. Not bashing Pro-Comp because the do support our hobby, but just trying to give some honest feedback from a neutral party.

[URL = http://s867.photobucket procompsidewalltear1 [IMG]

Last edited by desert dogg; 01-16-2017 at 10:05 AM.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #81 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Anyone have a comparison between these and 40" Trail grapplers? Besides the cost.
Can't speak for the mud, mainly because I avoid it. But I can say with certainty that the Nitto's hook up better in the rocks and have a tougher sidewall than the Pro Comps. Nitto seems like an overall better quality tire.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 51266
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
When Pro Comp came out with this 40" tire, they gave away countless free sets as sponsor (which is mighty cool of them ).

But unlike most in this thread, my experience with seeing these on the trail (rocks like JV, Ridgecrest, Sand Hollow, Arizona) has been less than impressive. Two buggies that I frequently wheel with switched to these after being given free/discount sets from 4Wheel Parts.

One of the guys used to run IROKS and switched to the 40" extremes, and he can no longer make waterfalls that he used to walk up with IROKS. He has also suffered 2 sidewall punctures where I had never seen any in the 3 years before that.

Another member of my club got a set on his buggy and also seems to struggle more on obstacles than he did before, and also recently experience a bad sidewall blowout. Seems like even at 4 PSI, they hook no better than your average MT radial street tire. He plans on switching.

Some pics, but I will not give out names because they were free / discounted tires after all. Not bashing Pro-Comp because the do support our hobby, but just trying to give some honest feedback from a neutral party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
Can't speak for the mud, mainly because I avoid it. But I can say with certainty that the Nitto's hook up better in the rocks and have a tougher sidewall than the Pro Comps. Nitto seems like an overall better quality tire.
great feedback since I wheel the areas mentioned cept Hammer-ville.... Been there but find myself attracted to the red rocks in Utah.

Precisely what I was looking for...... Thanks
High Country Renegades

Last edited by Symon623; 01-16-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #83 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Here's the truck climbing a pretty steep rock wall on Old-Style Goodyear MTRs in the 40x13.5r17 flavor. They had approximately 70% tread at this point and were about 14 years old so I'm sure when new the rubber was a bit softer...

I will mention that the sidewall separated on one of the MTRs just a few weeks after this trip. But I can't fault the tires since they were 14 years old, I suppose. That was the reason for replacing them with the ProComps.

Here it is at the same location, same line, with the ProComp Xtreme MT2 40x13.5r17 tires. Basically new (~1000 miles) and manufactured less than 2 years prior.

As you can see, there's even less drama and tire slippage. I ran the same pressure both trips and the truck is set up identically both times aside from the tires, as well.

With my heavy truck, you can see some definite sidewall flex compared to the Goodyears and I'm guessing that's why they bite so much better. But that's obviously a downfall for them from a robustness standpoint so I'll be conscious of that in the future so I don't have any sidewall blowouts as shown above.

Overall, for the 40" tire size, I cannot be happier with these tires, especially considering they're $150 or more cheaper PER TIRE than anything else out there in the same size.

For smaller sizes, the price difference is much smaller so I'd consider different tires if going with a 37" or smaller to get the sidewall robustness back. But considering I'm not running Ultra4 races with my truck I'm very happy with these.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 01-18-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #84 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
I'm extremely impressed with these tires, no pun intended.

In the rocks they hook up better than anything I have run before. (Falken MT and Goodyear MTR) They just flat out work. They wear like a sticky too, and dont chunk.

High speed stuff they work good. I hit a few things in the desert going 45-50 that should have punctured the tire, and they held up great. I'm definitely putting these tires through hell and they keep on going. Even drove them from JV to Yucca Valley and back at 9psi and it was fine.

Sand they work well too, no complaints
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Overall, for the 40" tire size, I cannot be happier with these tires, especially considering they're $150 or more cheaper PER TIRE than anything else out there in the same size.
Not exactly true

YokohamaÂ*Geolandar M/T Plus
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 04:19 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 51266
Great feedback guys...... Thanks
High Country Renegades
Old 01-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #87 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
When the fuck did that come out?

Okay, well the ProComp is one the cheapest tire in that size segment by a pretty big margin. Better?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Does procomps "warranty" apply offroad?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #89 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I've read through the warranty a few times. From what I gather - if you gash a tire or cause it to fail other than excessive treadwear, it won't be covered. If you wear the tires out prematurely, they'll prorate the cost of the tires. Not sure if they'd be able to seriously tell (or care) if they were used off road unless you raced on them or something. You do have to provide documentation that they were rotated between 3500-5000 miles I believe. They said that written notes are sufficient.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 83301
So maybe use a 4wheelparts for warranty instead then....
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 308273
Does anyone have issues with these leaking on beadlocks? Specifically 17in Raceline Monsters and 37in tires, not the 40s.

After nearly every trip where I'm either hammering on it (JV trips, racing EMC, short course fun at Glen Helen) the beads end up leaking on at least 1 tire. In two years, I've had the same issue with two sets of tires, and two sets of Racelines. I've tried all different combos of install techniques and same issue pops up.

Do these tires have a thinner bead than other tires? I've actually heard a couple people complain that the Raceline beadlock ring itself is the root cause of the problem but I was wondering if anyone else has ran into similar issues with different wheels/same tires.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #92 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
aluminum ring or steel?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 308273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
aluminum ring or steel?
Aluminum ring. Tried with and without the plastic spacer, same issue. Not trying to derail the thread, just curious - especially if anyone has killed these tires. I've killed one (shredded sidewall) and cut 2 sidewalls enough to leak. I wised up this year at EMC and had the pit crew check tire pressure every pit - and guess what - two dropped at least 10 psi throughout the race. Swapped them to be sure and didn't get any flats.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #94 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubsor View Post
Does anyone have issues with these leaking on beadlocks? Specifically 17in Raceline Monsters and 37in tires, not the 40s.

After nearly every trip where I'm either hammering on it (JV trips, racing EMC, short course fun at Glen Helen) the beads end up leaking on at least 1 tire. In two years, I've had the same issue with two sets of tires, and two sets of Racelines. I've tried all different combos of install techniques and same issue pops up.

Do these tires have a thinner bead than other tires? I've actually heard a couple people complain that the Raceline beadlock ring itself is the root cause of the problem but I was wondering if anyone else has ran into similar issues with different wheels/same tires.
I've had zero issues with losing pressure. I've ran the MT2's on Racelines, BTR's, Fuel and Pro Comp Vapors. I torque the rings to 16lbs.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #95 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Aluminum ring. Tried with and without the plastic spacer, same issue. Not trying to derail the thread, just curious - especially if anyone has killed these tires. I've killed one (shredded sidewall) and cut 2 sidewalls enough to leak. I wised up this year at EMC and had the pit crew check tire pressure every pit - and guess what - two dropped at least 10 psi throughout the race. Swapped them to be sure and didn't get any flats.
i know some people have had better luck with steel rings instead of al
Old 08-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #96 (permalink)
Bring the Fail

Member # 14085
Running 40x13.5x17's on Trail Gear Creeper Locks. Done 4 days of wheeling so far, 10psi the first 2 and 7psi the other 2; 7psi was a lot better than 10psi. No burps or leak downs any day. They do great in dry, but add a little water & muck and that is where they start to fail. Noticed I lose side traction pretty fast, it could be pulling, but if the weight shifts to one side they lose traction and shoot off to one side, almost like a Bogger.

All in all, very happy with them, would love to try some in a sticky, as they do awesome on the concrete course at Rausch Creek in street compound.
Attached Images

YuNiT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #97 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
Quote:

I run methods, and have noticed one wheel/tire leaking. I probably hammered that tire pretty good, so it might just need to be remounted. The other 3 are just fine.

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuNiT View Post
Running 40x13.5x17's on Trail Gear Creeper Locks. Done 4 days of wheeling so far, 10psi the first 2 and 7psi the other 2; 7psi was a lot better than 10psi. No burps or leak downs any day. They do great in dry, but add a little water & muck and that is where they start to fail. Noticed I lose side traction pretty fast, it could be pulling, but if the weight shifts to one side they lose traction and shoot off to one side, almost like a Bogger.

All in all, very happy with them, would love to try some in a sticky, as they do awesome on the concrete course at Rausch Creek in street compound.
Thoughts compared to other tires you have ran?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #99 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 193461
Are the stickies available to the public? I've talked to a few competitors about them, and they love them. But they get them for free, so they have to say that. (I'd do the same for free tires)

I'm a diehard red fan, but the larger size is what attracts me to the procomps. I'm not buying 20 inch wheels just to go to 42 reds...

adamwende is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in