What size rod ends? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2001, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4303
What size rod ends?

I may be buildings a rear link setup on my 1 ton chevy. It will use Mog axles and big tires (at least 44's). On the tip of the wishbone what size Hiem should I use to connect it to the axle. This truck will probably weigh in at about 7000lbs. Also what material should I use for the wishbone? Will a properly engineered wishbone be able to handle the side forces of a truck this heavy? should I go with a four link and panhard bar instead?
This truck will remain full length so I will be able to utilize long links.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Don
taradon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3815
Don,

A buddy of mine is using John Deere tractor joints that have 1" eyes. I'm not sure about the part #, though. I e-mailed him, but I think his computer is down. I'll let you know if I get any more info.

--Andy
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2001, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7668
There are several good companies that sell 1 1/4 three piece cromoly rod ends that are more than capable to support the weight of your truck. I would by a name brand like aurora, fk , etc there not cheap will be way over 100.00 bucks a pop but they wont break check the axial an static load ratings they are like a quarter of a million pounds or so. As for tubing I would run 2" o.d. cromoly min wall thickness of .188 prob better off to go .250 and tig weld it it will never break

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE P.O.S TRACTOR ENDS IN A SIMPLE WORD DEATH"
Hypoid Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2001, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
PIG
2indapink&1indastink

Member # 4502
Quote:
Originally posted by techguru73
There are several good companies that sell 1 1/4 three piece cromoly rod ends that are more than capable to support the weight of your truck. I would by a name brand like aurora, fk , etc there not cheap will be way over 100.00 bucks a pop but they wont break check the axial an static load ratings they are like a quarter of a million pounds or so. As for tubing I would run 2" o.d. cromoly min wall thickness of .188 prob better off to go .250 and tig weld it it will never break

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE P.O.S TRACTOR ENDS IN A SIMPLE WORD DEATH"
Exactly..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: PIRATE10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

COOL STUFF FOR YOUR BUGGY, JEEP, DODOGE 2500/3500

//
//

PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4303
Thanks guys, I will look into the big ass Hiems. Should I go with regular DOM 2" x .250" wall or should I go chrome moly?

Hi Cajun howz it goin, hows your project coming?

Thanks for the help guys
taradon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3815
Still in the "gathering" stage...

I won't be home 'till late Jan/early Feb, so the Jeep remains unmolested until then

Sounds like you've got quite a buildup going yourself.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2001, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4657
I can't seem to find the bigass ends anywhere. Where do you guys get them?
robellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in