I have a strange setup. Question about ratcheting lockers. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 75163
I have a strange setup. Question about ratcheting lockers.

Hello,

I have a 1982 Toyota Pickup truck that was converted into a 20' long RV. I love the RV, it gets great mileage, and I recently rebuilt the motor and trans (W50 trans, 5 speed. upgrade).

I also fitted it with a one ton full floating rearend from an unknown donor vehicle, which I believe was a flatbed- although I do not know the year or engine/ trans that was in front of it.

Now, the RV has the 22R engine, which is nice in a pickup- but not so much offroad, and up hills.

I have a Toyota 5 speed trans with a transfer case I am looking to install, to gain the low range setting so I do not have to slip the clutch so much starting off on hills, or just going up dirt roads.

So my question is this. The engine is stock, but bored over two sizes.

The one ton rearend has the Toyota 8" differential.

If I get a ratcheting locker and install it into the differential for traction in slippery conditions, or whatever, with the weight of the RV, will the locker be durable? I hear with larger tires or extra power they can have issues. My tires are stock, and my engine is limited to double- digit horsepower. But I am in an RV that taxes the motor.

(I keep the RV living quarters at a minimum weight. I gutted the entire inside. I have overheard cabinets and that's it. But I do carry a generator, toilet, and fridge.)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 161331
With low range and that much wieght, you could run into problems even with the lowly 22R. Being aware of it's limitations and not driving like an idiot will go a long way.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
You'll be fine, even with a drop in lunch box locker like an aussie or lockright.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 138801
Pretty sure you'll be fine, I've put those old Toyota flatbed trucks through some hell, rear axle never gave out
geo in a K5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in