Pirate 4x4 banner

DIY Style Beadlocks

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  EricsGreen98Tj 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to build some beadlocks for my TJ. I currently have a new set of 36-12.50x15 TSL and need some steel waggon wheels and a good DIY kit. What size wheel would you recomend me getting? Was thinking about 8" since the beadlocks will make it wider but have no experience with beadlocks so wasn't sure on this. Also will be ordering the wheels and the DIY kit new so feel free to say what brand you think is the best. Money isn't a big issue so if one brand is better I don't have a pblm spending more money if its worth it. As of now I was thinking Total Metal Innovations for the DIY kit and cragers or procomp for the wheels.

#4 ·
Figured that would get asked. Basically because I got a brand new miller welder that needs using and don't see any real advantage of anything else unless maybe aluminum. Then I would still pbly get a DIY aluminum kit to save money. Money isn't a big issue but why spend it if its not needed?

#5 ·
I ran 15x8 wheels with DIY beadlocks in my 36x12.50 tsl sxs... worked out well. the wheels ended up being about 15x9 whick still gave enough sidewall bulge that I wasnt dragging the beadlock rings on everything. Go ahead and buy a strip of 1/8" thick steel strap @ 1/2" wide to make anti coning rings for them while you are welding them up.

#8 ·
Definitely go with 8" wheels, weld on kits add about 3/4" so they will be perfect for those tires...........and a shameless plug for my weld on bead lock kit, only one on the market that actually centers your tire and includes anti-coning rings.

#11 ·
I was very pleased with my dealings with them. The anti-coning tabs take some muscle, but you only do it once.

I built a stand with a unit bearing on top so that I could weld continuously and spin the rim with my knee. The one rim I welded in sections is the only one that leaks.

#14 ·
1998TJ My experience has formed 2 opinions.. don't do weld on aluminum beadlocks and if you do DIY mild steel locks, throw some TIG beads on there instead of MIG. Sounds like you really want to use you new MIller which I understand.

First time doing a set of steel DIY's I cleaned and MIG'd em and did what appeared to be really nice job until I mounted them up on some 36-13.5 bias Irocs and sprayed them with soapy water. They leaked everywhere:mad3:

I was a little beat, but not broken about it so I disassembled ground all the MIG welds down and TIG'd em up.. no leaks. Just my experience. The wheels were cheap 15x7 wheels. I don't know if that was a major factor, but that was my first experience. I have done two sets TIG since then with awesome results!

#15 ·
I always heard that if you used MIG that you weren't supposed to use flux core. Solid wire with a gas mix supposedly seals better...

Any thoughts on that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.