2013 LII Eliminator build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 1636
2013 LII Eliminator build

Back in 08 I build myself a buggy from a retired UROC pro-mod chassis, using the parts I had left over from a worn out 1-ton YJ I built in '04. I wheeled that buggy for a few years and had a lot of fun with it at places like Raucsh Creek, Gore VA, and Johnson Valley CA. There was nothing wrong with it; I just decided I wanted something larger, lower, with more suspension, that was more modern, safer, and easier to work on. As most probably know, I sold that buggy 4th of July 2012 to Jamie up in Canada who goes by Throttle Happy on here and he has since rebuilt it.

I talked to a few different builders, and in the end decided to go with Liquid Iron Industries' Eliminator chassis after I sat in Tim's Fred buggy before he left for nationals in Texas last year. I liked the layout and the way everything fit, and I liked the legroom also (I have long legs). It doesn't hurt that hes right here in NJ too. About a month ago, I finally brought home Eliminator #4. It was ordered with the optional LSX Race Series engine cradle, link mount package, and Ultra4 gusset package.

This will be a slow build in a small garage with lots of blurry cell phone pictures and booger welds. Plan is to rec wheel it and maybe race RC rocs.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1636
I had been collecting parts since I sold the blue one last summer. The chassis was the last large part acquired. The idea was to obtain as much if the parts as I could in advance, and the chassis last.
Here's what I have so far:
-2008 LY6 with LS3 intake. F-body pan with Improved Racing baffle and Accusump accumulator
-6l80 6-speed auto trans
-3.0 Atlas II
-80s Ford front 60 with Detroit locker, 5.38 gears, Yukon 4340 shafts machined by Branik, Longfield joints, GM outers, Spidertrax rotors, and custom LII caliper brackets for Wilwood calipers
-95 Ford van rear with ARB, 5.38 gears, Yukon 35 spline chromoly shafts, more Spidertrax/Wilwood brakes with LII caliper brackets
-Radflo 2.5" reservoir coilovers, 14" front, 16" rear
-Ruffstuff 1.25" heims
-39" BFG red label Krawlers on Raceline Monster wheels
-PSC Race Series steering with CBR pump and longer ram for more steering angle
-Jaz 32 gallon cell
-PRP Podium seats
-CBR radiator

Pictures of parts

Engine with LS3 intake

Atlas

Tires and wheels

Front axle receiving the truss earlier this spring. Top piece is 1/4", inner pieces are 3/16. Front and back plates are .120" and are welded to the inner supports on both sides. Yes I am aware the plywood on the saw horses is sketchy.

LII Competition lower link brackets with weld-in chromoly weld washers, and Goat Built low profile shock mounts.

adding steering gussets to some GM knuckles

rear 60. no more POS 14 bolts not sure who's truss that is. It's fugly but if it's attached anything like the rest of the stuff I cut off this axle, it's not going anywhere so I'll use it.

PRP Podium's from Dave's Offroad Supply. These are probably the most comfortable suspension seats I've ever sat in.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1636
I've only worked a little so far. First order of business was to get the drivetrain in place so I could finish the subframe, and make the trans and transfer case mounts.

Engine going in

Next came the 6L80 trans that I got from Dave Smiley who goes by whypave on here (Thanks again Dave!). it's a huge bitch. I cut out the rear crossmember and began installing tube connectors. Like Tim’s, the subframe will be removable via internal tube connectors, and will utilize veritcal support tubes. I also added the doghouse tubes around the engine.

Next came the Atlas

Once the big pieces were in, I built the trans hump tube and threw a seat in it to get an idea of how those need to be mounted. There is tons of room inside this chassis

Last edited by chris demartini; 09-25-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Next came the removable belly tubes. They attach to the chassis with RuffStuff tube connectors. The rear link crossmember tube, and the two that connect it to the front crossmember tube, are sleeved internally with .120 tube for bending resistance.

Close up of the trans mount. Just a leaf spring bushing mounted horizontally.

Last week I added the dash and console tubes, and began laying out the trough.

Last edited by chris demartini; 09-25-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1636
That’s where I’m at now. I need to replace the broken blade on my bandsaw so I can finish the rest of the trough tubes. I also need to order some tabs and begin on the seat mounts.

After that I’ll roll the axles under and start connecting the links!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
JF

Member # 133890
Sub'd. I always like LII stuff.
JF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Good luck with the build. Let me know if you need anymore help with the trans.

I hadName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1380170488.309615.jpg
Views: 6033
Size:  68.1 KB a similar mount for my trans originally and it didn't last for two laps of the 2010 RCQ. Ymmv. I would use two bushings mounted farther apart going the same direction as the engine bushings and build a mount to the trans between them. What bent on mine was the single flat plate bolting to the trans tabs. The close up pic you posted above isn't showing for me so perhaps your mount has more cross sectional strength to it and I just can't see it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 100827
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
Very cool to see a another LII chassis come togther.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13460
Nice build, no Maxxis this time? Came over to the right side of thinking? A shame what became of the old chassis!
coilcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 91331
Looks like this thing should sit nice and low. Keep up the good work. I like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 121563
I'm so jealous.
moparmaniaccuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
Good deal.... great group supporting you, nice chassis, the 6l80 was one of the best choices I made. Protect the AL oil pan.... freak accidents have been known to happen
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Liquid Iron Ind.

Member # 52894
Quote:
Originally Posted by whypave View Post
Ymmv.
Hopefully he will steer clear of stumps and avoid that. What did your new mount look like? Might be something we should offer. Chris can just add some gussets out to the bolts and he should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smewhtguy View Post
Very cool to see a another LII chassis come togther.
Tell me about it! Really exciting seeing these come together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(856)-336-2639

Molten Motorsports #4343 "Fred"
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by whypave View Post
Good luck with the build. Let me know if you need anymore help with the trans.

I had a similar mount for my trans originally and it didn't last for two laps of the 2010 RCQ. Ymmv. I would use two bushings mounted farther apart going the same direction as the engine bushings and build a mount to the trans between them. What bent on mine was the single flat plate bolting to the trans tabs. The close up pic you posted above isn't showing for me so perhaps your mount has more cross sectional strength to it and I just can't see it.
Mine looks exactly like that, maybe a little taller. I used .25 for the flat part. I Think I can add some gussets out to the bolts while I have it apart. Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilcj View Post
Nice build, no Maxxis this time? Came over to the right side of thinking? A shame what became of the old chassis!
Both sets of Maxxis I ran were excellent tires. I was ready to go with another set of Trepadors until I saw the new price tag. The $275 difference per tire made the switch to BFG easily.

They are supposedly going to be building Krawlers on KRT carcasses, I think those will be an even better tire than the current Krawler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
Good deal.... great group supporting you, nice chassis, the 6l80 was one of the best choices I made. Protect the AL oil pan.... freak accidents have been known to happen
Thanks Ken. I saw what happened to yours, freak accident for sure. That was a tough break. The engine cradle offers a lot of protection for the oil pan. I have some 3/16" aluminum and some 3/4" cutting board plastic I'll be building the skids out of when it comes apart for final welding and paint.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 72504
Awesome build list Chris! They are a great looking and well laid out chassis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilcj View Post
A shame what became of the old chassis!
The old chassis is just fine and will be back on trail duty soon enough with a few improvements!

Throttle Happy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
He's going to avoid stumps at a Rausch Creek race? Let me know how that works out for you. I recall races on the new property with entire fields of 2-4" diameter stumps. The structural tube that mount bolted to was not bent. There was just too much torque from the engine and trans and an unsupported piece of 3/16ths connecting to the trans. If Chris has 1/4" and gussets that plate, I think he will be fine.

The new mount is at the scrap yard with the rest of the chassis but it was basically a 10" wide piece of 1x1" box stock with a piece of 1.75" dom at either end with YJ type bushings in it. Very similar to the mounts that Jimmy's does. I found an example of a really nice one below. It provides a stronger plate to support the trans tabs as well as spreads the torque across a wider area.

I guess I've been out of racing too long. Do you guys now avoid rocks and obstacles because your "cars" aren't built to take the abuse or do you drive the course and build to suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
Hopefully he will steer clear of stumps and avoid that. What did your new mount look like? Might be something we should offer. Chris can just add some gussets out to the bolts and he should be fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by whypave; 09-26-2013 at 01:19 PM.
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35931
Glad to see you started a build thread Chris. I look forward to watching the progress. Let me know if we can help with anything.

Like us on Facebook

Join our Facebook Group

Email:

Phone: 484-554-3584

Pirate 5% Off Promo Code "pirate5"
RckCrwlr87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8108
Subscribed. When is the maiden voyage eta?
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RckCrwlr87YJ View Post
Glad to see you started a build thread Chris. I look forward to watching the progress. Let me know if we can help with anything.
Thanks for all the help so far! I'll let you know if there's anything else I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
Subscribed. When is the maiden voyage eta?
no eta yet
Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
Good start
rajincajingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Hope it goes together quickly and easily for ya.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19330
Send a message via AIM to dan58
Can't wait to see this thing. Any additional HP plans for the 6.0?
dan58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
Good stuff Chris! Looks like a really nice chassis setup. Hope to see more of these being built.
matts88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Thanks guys

Dan, no plans for internal power mods yet. Plan is to get it dialed in (suspension, steering, cooling), get it reliable, then maybe add power.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Got the axles under it and mocked up the links over the last couple weeks.

Front under it last week. Chassis is set at 19" belly, shock is half extended and the axle is close to ride height.

The low front shock mounts won't work, the lower coil retainer hits the spring pad, and they're not as necessary as I thought. I'll weld some simple tabs to the top of the axle tube.

My friend Pete cut me out some upper link tabs today on the waterjet at his work. Much nicer cuts than the plasma.

Fronts

Rears

Right now all 4 lowers at 35" eye to eye and it came out to 108". I'm using PVC to mockup the lowers, shooting for 110" wheelbase. The front looks fine where it is, so I'll bring the rear back 2". That will provide a little extra driveshaft length, and it needs to come back a little anyway so the upper link mounts tuck into the slope of the Jeepspeed cell a little better than it looks like they will now.

Radiator will go above the fuel cell. I'm going to run a 31x19 dual-pass CBR radiator. It's a really nice piece, Tim has it right now to prototype a mount that will be offered as an option for this chassis. The filler neck will nee to be moved to where the Jaz sticker is, in order to clear the radiator. I plan to make a .120 steel plate to cover the current filler hole in the top plate, which will also serve as a mount for an in-tank Walbro 392, that will sit in a Fuel Safe or ATL surge tank inside the cell.

Made the front uppers, just some 1.75x.120 DOM, threw my knuckles and spindles on, and started visualizing where I think the steering cylinder will need to go.

That's it until I get the welder tank refilled . Might drop it down to full stuff and do the front shock mounts next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in