Krawler shelf life? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 16561
Krawler shelf life?

I know red label krawlers tend to crack with age. I just sold my 3 year old krawlers to get some new ones. They had the typical cracks that krawlers get. I have 2 brand new spares that have been always stored inside. They are 2-3 years old. Will they tend to crack any sooner than new ones? Do the tires age much when stored inside?

Gone but not forgotten: 81 toyota truggy - LT1 - Th400+203+atlas3.0 - 60 / 14 - 42s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dobsogj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 113539
Tyres only have a 5 year life span, check date of munfature on the sidewalls to work out there age.

The older tyres won't perform or wear same as the new tyres.

Last edited by Sim79; 09-30-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Sim79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16561
Do you think I will see a real difference if they have been stored inside for 2-3 years?

Gone but not forgotten: 81 toyota truggy - LT1 - Th400+203+atlas3.0 - 60 / 14 - 42s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 16561
Anyone have any first hand experience here?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 21282
I wouldn't think it's a problem lots of 10yr old krawlers out there

Recommended Stuff:
-
91blaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 113539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobsogj View Post
Do you think I will see a real difference if they have been stored inside for 2-3 years?
Age damages tyres, the rubber slowly hardens.

I have seen people sold brand new tyres and the sidewalls blew out, when the dates were checked on the sidewalls they were sold old tyres.

Lots of people run old tyres, they just perform there best in the first 5 years from date of manufacture.

Last edited by Sim79; 10-01-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Sim79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
Yes, they still age. I have a brand new sticky irok that looks 10 years old because of cracking.It is about 5 years old. I had another one like that and ran it. No issues so far.
What ruins a tire isn't always external like sun or heat. The air inside of the tire has ozone in it which slowly seeps through the rubber on a molecular level. This breaks down the tire from the inside out. No air = longet tire life. Not sure how much exactly. Not sure how nitrogen plays into it either.

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 101938
I had an OLD (around 10 years) set of krawlers on my rig. They had cracks like all the krawlers do. They also still took my rig places few could go. I had looked into the change in rubber hardness (I think durometer) due to age and found some information about it concerning road racing tires. They to are made from soft compounds and become unusable after so long due to the rubber hardening. So yes the rubber hardens but yes the tire will still be usable. So in summary you should probably send your old tires to me so I can destroy them for you. They'll never work

MY OLD RIG:

MY FB PAGE: (pics and stuff)
battlebuddy618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6576
If you are talking about a highway driven rig, I would pay attention to age for sure, like the Aussie says, but for a krawler on a trail rig, I wouldn't even think about the age, just run em.

Rage 4th............ "safety is our #2 concern"
1uglyranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6494
I just ran a set of 10 year old krawlers at the U4 race in Hot Springs. Came in 10th, no tire issues. We took the right side of Ingrids every time along with most of the other more difficult lines when the easy lines were clogged up. Then I took 7th in the shootout with a broken front gear.
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I][COLOR="Magenta"]#914 Pampered Chef Buggy[/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][U][COLOR="Blue"]Companies we're proud to work with[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE]
[COLOR="Blue"]East Coast Gear Supply[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Reid Racing[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]RCV Performance Axles[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]Rose Grinding & MFG[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Single Source Welding[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Northern member of MUD DEVILS[/COLOR][/B]
EasyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 158614
I've found how to date a tire with a DOT number. But, how do you date a red, with no DOT number? What numbers do I use, and how do I read them?
Tumbleweed13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
BRB

Member # 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyXJ View Post
Came in 10th... We took the right side of Ingrids every time along with most of the other more difficult lines when the easy lines were clogged up. Then I took 7th in the shootout with a broken front gear.
cool tire tech
Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 32613
I ran an ~8 year old, used, beat on, set for 2 years, they leaked through the cracks (lost 2-5 psi per day) but still worked. I got rid of them this year as the sidewal tread started to rip off in huge chunks.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 16561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
I've found how to date a tire with a DOT number. But, how do you date a red, with no DOT number? What numbers do I use, and how do I read them?
It's been a few days but I think there are still date codes on them. I remember looking at mine. Not sure if it was a dot # or what though, can't remember

Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I've ran 10 year old blue labels on the street and no problems. Mine were stored indoors and were even used on a comp rig for a little while. No problems from the age of the tire, but the beadlocks leaked a little. Even at 10 years old, they hook up better than the new tires from the competition

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 197428
There is a way. I just sent a text asking a friend of mine. My rig came with reds that were part of BFG first run. I have since sold them since I was going to race and didn't trust them at speed. Guy I know runs them on a toy with no issues.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
I wonder if that Aerospace303 stuff would make a difference? It claims to replenish the plasticizers that make rubber soft, to prevent cracking...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in