How many Types of ball joint D60 knuckles are there? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2001, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5926
How many Types of ball joint D60 knuckles are there?

I'm getting ready to JUNK the Redline knuckles, and replace them. How many different Ball joint D60 knuckles are there to choose from, and what are the differences? Like scrub radius (the distance from the center of the axle u-joint to the wheel mounting surface). This greatly effects the amount of force required to turn the wheels. I will also need to make these fit a 5 on 5.5 15" rim, so the caliper brackets will be custom.

1. New Ford ball joint with 4 bolt spindle/unitized bearing. Bigger Metric wheel pattern won't interfer with 5 on 5.5 redrill. Has integrated caliper bracket. Shorter spindle then the GM & Dodge. BTW, This is what Currie uses. It has a 7 3/8" scrub radius, but appears that it could be reduced to 6 1/2" with some machining on the flange, moving the rotor behind the flange, etc.
This is my first choice, but I wanted to do Hysteer with TRE's.
2. Ball joint Ford with 5 bolt spindle. Has integrated caliper bracket. I believe this one also has a 7 3/8" scrub, and this could also be reduced by narrowing the wheel mounting flange some, and possibly remachining the spindle.
3. GM ball joint has 6 bolt spindle.......
4. Dodge

I'm not spending $1000+ for a 22 year old work horse King pin Ford 60 in "EXCELLENT CONDITION" that has been sitting in weeds for who knows how long in New Jersey.
KingOf_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2001, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5926
Am I the only one that lays awake at night thinking about this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2001, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7668
I looked up some info in my dana spicer catalog they denote the same part # for all years and all makes for the inner knuckle ( king pin axles ) and the only difference between the outers was the ford @ 5 bolts for the spindle and the chevy , dodge , etc, @ 6 bolts but the same indexing ring so I would guess all are the same scrub as long as they are all single wheel fronts. As far as making the 5 x 5 1/2 b.p. that no prob just machine the wheel hub down to the o.d. as the wheels you have redrill the l.p. get some f 150 rotors ans enlarge the indexing hole to fit and get a set of backing plates of of a dana 44 or make your own pretty simple
Hypoid Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2001, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5926
Good info on the King Pin setups. But, I'm looking at buying a almost new Ford D50 CHEAP, and using the knuckles out. I'm not comfortable buying a rusted 79 Ford D60, and hoping the spindles, axles, u-joints, hubs aren't rusted to pieces.

I believe the ball joint GM D60's have a longer spindle, and a longer scrub radius. Maybe somone will measure from the center of the u-joint to the mounting surface of the wheel on a GM setup. I'm guessing it will be around 8 1/8" scrub.

Machining the hubs down for the 15" rim, and then redrilling for the 5 on 5.5 pattern, leaves one of the stud holes half way into the old hole. One person tack welded the stud to hold it in place, and others have welded the hole up and redrilled. I wonder if welding on the hub is a good idea?

I'm not sure what the "index ring" is?

Thanks for the info,
Old 11-24-2001, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
no answers, but a few questions

what diameter and back spacing are you using to determine scrub radius?
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2001, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7412
i am more of a build it rather than buy it guy myself but this looks like what you are looking for and the price is very fair. i don't know if it will do you any good. but you might want to take a look. mike
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=598201847
Old 11-24-2001, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Originally posted by bwickert
I'm looking at buying a almost new Ford D50 CHEAP, and using the knuckles out. I'm not comfortable buying a rusted 79 Ford D60, and hoping the spindles, axles, u-joints, hubs aren't rusted to pieces.
I thought the Dana 50 used Dana 44 knuckles. What year Dana 50 (IFS Ford or what?)
Old 11-24-2001, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5926
mj:
Yea, it's true scrub radius is calculated with the wheel as part of the equation, but I'm only considering the frontend axle portion cause that's what I'm building at this time. Measuring from the center of the ball joints to the wheel mounting surface. Read my original post.

gunracer1:
I'm in the process of finishing my own. That's why I'm trying to decide which knuckles to go with. Thanks for the heads up. That is a sweet deal! If the price doesn't go up to high, I may just buy it and cut it up.

Mr.N:
Nope, the newer F250 D50's use the same knuckles as the Ford 60's. Looks just like a D60, even the same diff cover. The D50 has a D44 size R&P inside. Can't put 60 gears in it because the snout is shorter for the small pinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in