Pirate 4x4 banner

ARB or Electratrac front dana 60?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  OffRoadPoser 
#1 ·
I need a manual locker for the front of my soon to be IFS 97 Yukon. What should I go with? Can you run air tools and fill tires good with the arb? When have to change rear paddles for silver lake a lot. How reliable are each of these lockers? I don't have a lot of room in the engine bay either so that may be a factor. How about running air tools and tire filling witha 20# co2 tank how long does it last? I may go with the elcetric locker if that works. This is a street driven truck so I want to be able to switch it off. Thanks!

#3 ·
All I can tell you about the Detroit Electrac is that a buddy of mine has one in his Ford HP D60. It works when it wants to and he is not that happy with it. We have checked electrical and the actuator always works, it just doesn't always lock up. This is my one and only experience so it may not be the norm.

#4 ·
Have not heard many good things about the electrac. Have not heard many bad things about the ARB. I got ARB's. The ARB compressor is small and it will run air tools if you are patient. You can also use the co2 to actuate the ARB's if you don't want to add a compressor

#6 ·
I have the electrac in my rear D44 of my TJ.

I bought one of the first ones and it failed on me in Tellico while trying to go up guardrail. The newer ones have some additional adjustments on them which is supposed to fix the problems in the early models.

Tractech has sent me a complete new replacement (free) and I'll get it installed next week.

#7 ·
ARB's:

the ARB compressor is not designed to run air tools at all; it barely fills tires. It';s for activating the locker at 90 psi, and that's about it.

However, the ARB's are awesome in my book for lockers and the pump is small and convenient to install. I overcome the issue of filling tires and running tools with a real compressor or a CO2.

Many of my club guys, including me, are buying the CO2 bottle. Steve Sasaki, that runs the company, is a good guy to deal with and has a great product. It's sure handy.

Del

#8 ·
I removed 4 wheels/tires
removed f/r toy axles
diassembled f/r toy axles to bare housings
reseated and inflated 4 36x15.50-15 tsl's
reassembled f/r toy axles
reinstalled 4 wheels/tires

all with 1/2 impact and still had co2 in the tank...

#10 · (Edited)
If you try and run air tools off an ARB compressor you WILL burn it up and your tools won't work worth a crap. The ARB compressor only puts out .93CFM at 29PSI, fine for engaging the locker and airing up tires (slooooowwwly), but not to run air tools. If you don't have enough room under the hood to run a York off the motor, then CO2 would be my choice.

Oh yeah, stay away from the Elec-trac, all it is is a true-trac, with more stuff in it to fail.... bad idea! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.