GM taper Drag link smaller than TRE - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41021
GM taper Drag link smaller than TRE

Spent quite a while planning and searching and then ran into a glich and searched some more but can't find the info I need.

OK So I have a Dana 44 (1979 Ford F250 High Pinion Dana 44). When I bought it the guy had already done a fair amount of work to it. It has an Off Road Unlimited knuckle on the passenger side (see link below), and a flat top GM knuckle on the drivers side. I was using this axle for an SAS, and setup with leaf springs.

ORU Crossover Steering Knuckle Dana 44 & GM 10 Bolt Nut Down - Crossover Steering - Individual Components - Off Road Unlimited

So I am currently working on the steering. I got the Hi Steer arm and spacer for the drivers side knuckle to match the height of the ORU knuckle and planned on doing an inverted T with GM tie rod ends.

The problem I have is, the usual way to do this is to use the ES2233L drag link on the passenger side and ream out the hole in the drag link for an ES2243R to fit into it (with the ES2027L at the pitman arm and the ES2234R on the drivers knuckle). However, the drag link (the ES2233L) even though it is the same taper as the tie rods, it is slightly smaller (I did some searching and I guess the drag link holes on GM are not drilled as deep as the tie rod holes and so the drag link is slightly smaller), so the tie rods sit fine in the ORU knuckle, but the ES2233L sits too deep (bottoms out and part of the taper is sticking through so cannot tighten it etc).

So is there a sleeve or something like that available that is essentially GM taper (1.5 pitch) on both the outside and inside of the sleeve or ... anyone else run into this problem? I Could drill the knuckle with a 7/8" or 1" drill bit and then buy the straight sleeves (straight on the outside, and tapered on the inside), but would prefer not to do that if possible.
RNandKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1889
ES2233L is a tie rod end, and is a smaller taper than the drag link ends for the same truck.

No on the sleeve that I've ever seen. Diameter difference is only about 0.03" which means the sleeve would be made of material about the thickness of a beer can. You'll need to drill it out larger and use a different end or weld something into the arm, or get different arm(s) with the tie rod end taper instead of the drag link end taper. Or separate the tie rod into a second set of holes a couple inches back on the arms and run the drag link to the forward hole (better solution if it fits).
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 42341
Yep, the ES 2027L and 2026R are the drag link ends capable of higher misalignment. Same taper per foot but to a larger diameter than the ES2233L, and I think an ES2210L is a left hand version of the ES2234R.

Quick and easy answer, drill it out to 7/8"s, throw this sleeve in and bolt it together.
Tapered Steering Knuckle Insert - RuffStuff Specialties

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 03-14-2014 at 10:00 PM.
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

Quick and easy answer, drill it out to 7/8"s, throw this sleeve in and bolt it together.
Tapered Steering Knuckle Insert - RuffStuff Specialties
x2 problem solved
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in