DIY Pre-luber?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12101
DIY Pre-luber??

$600 seems a little steep for one of these systems, but I like the idea. Does anyone know what type of pump they are using? (http://preluber.com). Maybe a pump like this is available for less than the $350 they are offering it for by itself...

I have a motor that's been sitting for several years, and I don't want to crank it over without oil pressure....any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Ed in Oregon
85 4Runner 2.5L turbo diesel
35's, electric lockers, etc..
dieseltoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12498
Dieseltoy,
If the engine has a distributor driven oil pump, just remove the distributor and drive the pump with an pneumatic or electric drill. If that is not the case, drain the oil (you will want to do this anyway) and use a pressure can refill the crankcase from the oil pressure sender fitting. I would change the oil filter also and fill it with oil prior to installing. When you start the engine every thing will be well oiled and the pressure will come up quickly.

mywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2242
You can use a Moroso oil accumulator as a pre-luber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Harry Wagner
Freelance 4WD Writing & Photography
Vehicle Features, Tech, & Trail Reports
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2003, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1176
Buy it direct $ 168

http://www.enginegearonline.com/item...5&PRID=1009965

Many oild burners pre lube and that the reason an engine will last so long. Most wear on gas or diesel is at the startup

I want to put one on my 2F landcruiser motor.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6848
Does it go through the oil filter outlet? Seems like if you combine it with a remote filter you'd have a pretty good setup. Put it on a manual switch and when you are going up or down nasty inclines and your oil pressure drops, just flip the switch.

Think that would work? If it did, it seems like it'd be pretty easy!

Jack
Old 08-19-2003, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1176
Quote:
Originally posted by IronBenderII
Does it go through the oil filter outlet? Seems like if you combine it with a remote filter you'd have a pretty good setup. Put it on a manual switch and when you are going up or down nasty inclines and your oil pressure drops, just flip the switch.

Jack
Locate your oil sender
Remove oil sender
Install adapter tee
Replace oil sender
Old 08-19-2003, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Originally posted by bennett

Locate your oil sender
Remove oil sender
Install adapter tee
Replace oil sender
You want to pump all that oil thru a 1/4" fitting?

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1176
3 gal per minute maximum on the pump.. just need it on long enough to pressurize the oil system.. maybe 10-15 seconds to show 60 psi before you start. Not a bad way to go IMO.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12101
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Harry
You can use a Moroso oil accumulator as a pre-luber.

Thanks for the link. It also keeps oil pressure up when the sump tube is sucking air. this would be helpfull in extreme angle conditions.....the pre-luber draws from the oil pan, so it would not work as well in this situation.

$180 shipped from summit or jeg's.

the only thing it seems to lack over the pre-luber is the ability to pump out all your oil for easy oil changes.

With a solenoid activated valve, you could prelube every time you start the motor. (it gains pressure while the motor is running, then a check valve is activated. then on startup, check valve is released)

AW crap. get em both! ;-D
Old 09-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12101
Quote:
Originally posted by IronBenderII

Jack

I tried the Moroso oil accumulator, but does not work so well as a pre-;uber, since the motor needs to be running in order to build pressure (or you have to "air it up"). Also, a solenoid activated valve to close it off after pressure is formed by the engine, then released for starting later....

So, I bought the 12v pump from engine gear ($189-I guess they must have raised prices shortly before my order).

Now that I am about to hook it up, I can see what you meant by having a filter. As a pre-luber, these are usually hooked up between the oil drain plug and a sender "T", with a check-valve before the "T" to keep oil pressure from forcing oil back through the pump after the motor is started.

Problem: this would bypass the oil filter, and pump oil directly from your pan into your oil journals - bad idea. There needs to be a filter between the pan and the pre-luber pump.

I don't think a regular remote mount, full sized oil filter is required, just some in-line sort of thing, kind of like a fuel filter.. any ideas?

Thanks!

Ed
Old 09-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 22456
Just try running a synthetic oil or lucas oil in the mix. The Lucas and synthetics stay stuck to everything and prevent alot of startup wear. They also almost prevent thermal breakdown. I once read a story of a guy who was running Pikes peak in some kind of a purpose built race car. He lost oil pressure at the bottom of the track and decided to run the hill with on oil. Since he was running Mobil 1 in his car he made it to the top like it had oil the entire time. later the motor was dissasembles and there was no abnormal wear.
SJ410Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in